Interesting start to the morning.

archerthearcher

Dec 3, 2012
Ramona CA
On my way in to the office this morning I hit a small [maybe 3 foot tall] deer.

I live in Ramona and drive Wildcat Canyon to get to the 67 each morning. I was following 2 other bigger vehicles [F150 size trucks] with maybe 4 or 5 car lengths between us. Just before we got to the Tribal Enforcement buildings [at about 445] this young deer stepped out in front of me. Knowing that I would be royally screwed if I hit it in my Honda Fit I swerved to avoid it, but could not react fast enough. I ended up clipping it with my passenger side mirror. I immediately stopped and looked back in the road expecting to see it laying there. But with "luck" there was nothing in the road. I then turn my attention to my car to check for serious damage [and blood] only to find a broke mirror and nothing more. I then jumped back in my car and slowly drove back toward the impact site looking for any sign of the deer, but found nothing.

I think that deer survived i drove down wildcat canyon round 9 today no sign of a dead deer they are pretty tough animals a guy i hunt with said he saw a buck some body shot a back leg off of run for two miles and the other hunter who shot it never found the buck

Yes I live in the Estates and I had heard similar things about how tough deer can be.

I checked out my car more when I got home and it seems like it bounced all the way down the passenger side. There are scratches all the way down and the rear passenger door has a good sized dent in it.

And yes I know I am fortunate that I didn't hit it head on or run into its mother or father.

Ive seen a few accidents with deer. They are really tough and do much more damage to a vehicle than one sometimes expects. It sounds like your car probably took more damage than the deer.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu