Introducing myself

OFN

Aug 24, 2013
Thought I would introduce myself. I am a native Californian, and have hunted and fished since I was a kid. Spent a little over 20 years in the Air Force and was able to hunt/fish various locations stateside and overseas. Retired from the Air Force a little over 20 years ago and came home to California. Started salt water fishing again and really got the bug doing long range trips, and local overnight to 2 day trips in between. Have not really hunted since I retired from the Air Force, but now am getting the bug to get out and hunt again. Thinking about doing a Tejon hunt as they are just up the road a little bit, and doing a little scouting in the northern portion of D11 as it is close to home, I can walk to the national forest, so no real long drive to go scouting. I know it is a tough area to hunt, low percentage of success etc, but I see deer, yotes, etc all the time so being local I might have an advantage if it does not get overrun during season. Anyway looking forward to getting to know the fine folks on this site.

If you put in your time scouting, D11 can be very successful. The problem is, it gets crowded on opening day. It has a low success rate because the vast majority of hunters who hunt D11 only go out opening day. You need to go out every chance you have. If you scout and hunt often there is no reason you can't harvest a deer almost every year

Thanks for the welcome. Hope to be able to contribute with successful hunt pictures on a regular basis. :)

Welcome and yes opening weekend is always packed, but
your so close do as I and use the week days to your advantage.

I'm thinking week days are a good idea. Probably will skip the opener and let things calm down for a day or two then go in and see what I can do.

If you like to backpack for a few days and go in deep D11 has so monsters.

Good luck! And thanks for your service!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu