Investment to poke a yote across a 500y field?

Handgun

Jun 28, 2014
Imperial Valley
I looked into this years ago but back then the $ and maths scared me off. I guess now there are apps and all that Jazz to make it easier and I’m sure stuff has gotten more affordable. Want to see what it might cost these days.

I have a Ruger M77 Hawkeye in .260 rem. Compact 16” pencil barrel. Would I need a heavy barrel? My buddy can poke Jacks @ 500y with his "built" Savage .260.

Next, rangefinder - $?

Scope (thinking dial yardage turrets) - $?

I reload handgun ammo on Lee Pro 1000s but would need to get set up to load 260. Have an old single stage. Rock chucker?

Last edited:
So some basics a 260 at 500 has about 45" of drop with a 200 yard zero. That's pushing the hold over method so yes a scope with turrets could help. Windage starts to matter at 500 so yeah a exposed turret scope 400 is kinda the limit for old school duplex redicles.

Can you rifle do it? You got to answer that one. The only way to get good at 500 is to start shooting At 500. Your barrel won't like shooting fast because it's thin and will heat up quick. Go slow and see. You might find it's good to go. Adding a better trigger would be the only must do mod.
Reloading..... For 500 yards just shoot factory ammo. Your setup won't see any big gain from reloads. If you want to get into reloading you should. Your rcbs press is purfect for making world class ammo.

Yes you need a range finder

Edited a little for clarity. What do you guys think $ wise for scope and range finder? I spose most places I can google earth range. I've noticed when glassing that coyotes are not concerned with my presence from across a field, and don't care to walkd across one to a call, so if I could reach out...

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu