J11 apprentice tag

BIGCIM

Feb 15, 2018
How many points will usually get you a successful draw on a J11 apprentice hunt? My son was unsuccessful again with 2 points.
Hes itching to harvest a deer. His face drops when I tell him he didn't get drawn. Then I remind him that California life get use to it. Lol

Based on the 2018 Draw Odds there was 40 J11 tags, 20 of which go into the preference point draw, 20 in the random, last year the application pool looked like the following:
  • 1 applicant with 3 points
  • 15 applicants with 2 points
  • 2 between 2 and 1 points
  • 36 applicants with 1 point
  • 2 between 1 and 0
  • 68 applicants with 0
Looks like there must have been some point creep for your son not to draw with 2 points this year in the preference pool. He should have very strong odds going into next year though.

The J11 buck tag which is in D14 should get drawn 100% with 2 points with 1 point you have 24% draw odds that hunt runs November 14-26.

So if he had two points going into this draw there is no reason he shouldn’t have drawn. These are draw odds off of gohunt.com which I am a member of. The only thing I could think is that they had way more applicants this year which can’t be calculated prior to the draw. But based off last year he should have drawn 100%

The J11 buck tag which is in D14 should get drawn 100% with 2 points with 1 point you have 24% draw odds that hunt runs November 14-26.

So if he had two points going into this draw there is no reason he shouldn’t have drawn. These are draw odds off of gohunt.com which I am a member of. The only thing I could think is that they had way more applicants this year which can’t be calculated prior to the draw. But based off last year he should have drawn 100%

Yup - there would have had to been some point creep. Only 2 of the 36 applicants with 1 point last year could have drawn in the preference pool so if enough of those 34 didn't draw in the random and continued to apply for J11 this year (now with two points) that would be enough to shift the odds to less than <100% for the 2-point pool

Reactions: TRICER
How many points will usually get you a successful draw on a J11 apprentice hunt? My son was unsuccessful again with 2 points.
Hes itching to harvest a deer. His face drops when I tell him he didn't get drawn. Then I remind him that California life get use to it. Lol
Tejon Ranch also does a draw for youth hunters, check it out.

The great thing is that he doesnt need the J11 tag to kill a deer. Get out there and put in the time and hopefully he can still kill a deer.
That is correct however hes only with me 3 weekends a month. Between work and his passion of duck hunting its hard to find time. When he gets older hell hunt out of state with me.

Thanks for the replies fella's. This is my oldest child so the past couple of years have been my first experiences with the Apprentice hunt deer tags.

Reactions: ilovesprig

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu