knowing the Fish & Wildlife code

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
Well I have one more story if any body cares to listen
My four partners and I where bow hunting at near the Julian area, in the National forest.
we were near a American Native reservation. we heard a shot ran out while we were hunting in the morning.
we saw a few deer but where unable to capitalize.

decided to move and head over to Mt Laguna, heading up the road there was a road block, by Leo's.
two game warden's and two sheriff's . apparently some one had called the Sheriffs that someone had fired a weapon.
I guess. during archery season.

was was lagging behind and my other partners had been searched and I was next.
Game Warden asked if I had any weapons in my truck. I replied politely no sir I do not.
He asked me if he could search my Truck. I replied sir I have nothing to hide you may if you wish.
He noticed I had two Arrows on my quiver with Judo Points.
He asked me, why did I have those on my arrows.

I politely answered, sir it is archery quail season as well as archery deer.
while I was having this conversation his younger partner, game warden was listening to our conversation.
I said, if I saw a quail I was going to take it since it is allowed by the reg's.
He replied no it is not quail season, and you are not allowed to hunt quail.

I politely said sorry sir you are mistaken check rules. I had my book in the truck but he had made it a mess in there.
the younger game warden said I will go check and walked away. came back and said yep, it is Archery quail.
then the older Game warden said, I smell Marijauna in this truck.
I polite replied sir what you smell is sage & pine needles, that's what I use to cover my scent during hunting.
he angrily said OK you are free to go.
while this is going on my buddies are watching this entire ordeal. and after wards they all said
he was sure giving me a hard time. yep but he had nothing on me, because I told the truth and I had nothing to hide.
and I knew the rules.

End of story
Ghost

Good for you. And hopefully a lesson learned for overeager warden.

TonyS said:
Good for you. And hopefully a lesson learned for overeager warden.
Honestly I do not why he was giving me hard time. Maybe he did not like my looks.
Hunting since I could pick up rifle as a youngster. Never looked for trouble.
But I thought I would share. And other reason I like to hunt, and fish. Always meeting good people most have
Become very good friends. Most haved moved out of state. The fact they were present most likely helped because
They were witness's of the situation. I think most Leo's have a job to do. And enforce the law.
The ones really to blame are law makers. I am always respectful and curtious. Normally I have no issues.

Ghost

Have your proclamations with you at all times. Here's the thing. Alot of our wardens have zero hunting background. Their ex military or college educated people who apply with the shotgun approach to getting a job. They'll apply to multiple jurisdictions and departments hoping for a job. F&g takes them and they have a hard time deciphering the laws. It's our job as sportsman to know the laws so undiserving citations are not written. Put you proclamation by your toilet and read it like the bible. Know it live it embrace it and you shouldn't have any problems.

wackums back said:
Have your proclamations with you at all times. Here's the thing. Alot of our wardens have zero hunting background. Their ex military or college educated people who apply with the shotgun approach to getting a job. They'll apply to multiple jurisdictions and departments hoping for a job. F&g takes them and they have a hard time deciphering the laws. It's our job as sportsman to know the laws so undiserving citations are not written. Put you proclamation by your toilet and read it like the bible. Know it live it embrace it and you shouldn't have any problems.

I gave you a Karma, good advice

Ghost

The Wardens get paid to enforce the California Department of Fish and Wildlife code. The code is so ridiculous and complex that even they can't possibly remember it all. If they can't remember it all and it's in their job description to do so then how on earth can anyone expect someone who doesn't make a living at it to remember every detail of the rules and regulations? Ghost that Warden didn't need to have an attitude with you especially since you didn't have an attitude with him. He wanted to write a citation and when you made him look stupid he got all huffy puffy. Sorry but that is just wrong and as a law enforcement officer he should have been more professional. I bet I know which warden it was considering the area you were hunting.

Thanks Don and Josh

I appreciate the comments. I am always polite and courteous. I have had some good conversations with some wardens. And especially the regional fish and wildlife biologist. They have been and are very helpful.

Ghost

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu