Last attempt of the season

cripple

Jul 13, 2013
So I have been out every mon and fri of the season and it is pretty clear the deer have been spooked from the area (mtn bike races went through the area). I can tell the general direction they are heading by trails and scat. There are only a few places they may be heading and thats what I need advice on. Do I head deeper into a rough, overgrown canyon or do I head up to a nearby but very remote mesa? After being spooked what would the deer head to?

Follow the deer tracks and scat and set up an ambush. When there is to much human encroachment the deer will temporarily leave. Try to figure out were they feed and bed. Bustng brush is tough.
More info would have been helpful. I tried to give the best advice. When I could walk these mountains in thick brush. I would walk a ridge next to a Ravine. Then look for deer crossing on to the next hill. But with clear view.

I wouldn't give up on that place. You can drive a whole group of tank and trucks through the area and the deer will stay put. As long as nothing happens to one of them they will be fine in their habitat. I would be more concerned of hunting pressure (people getting off trail).

Think about it- camp pendelton good deer hunting. Hike in a state park with constant use of mountain bikers and hikers with dogs...you'll see a herd by the trail. Even a shooting range (angeles) will call a cease fire due to deer on the range where bullets are impacting steel targets.

But if your mind says they're gone- then they're gone.

I wouldn't give up on that place. You can drive a whole group of tank and trucks through the area and the deer will stay put. As long as nothing happens to one of them they will be fine in their habitat. I would be more concerned of hunting pressure (people getting off trail).

Think about it- camp pendelton good deer hunting. Hike in a state park with constant use of mountain bikers and hikers with dogs...you'll see a herd by the trail. Even a shooting range (angeles) will call a cease fire due to deer on the range where bullets are impacting steel targets.

But if your mind says they're gone- then they're gone.

Its possible I guess, but if they are in the area its the middle of the night. There has been hinting pressure as wel im sure.

Well, I'm going to roll the dice with you on Friday. Luckily its an observed holiday at work so I'm off. With all the SCH'ers bagging bucks and d15 season coming to an end, the pressure on us to make it happen is high.

Good luck cripple. Hope the buck makes a mistake and we make it perfect.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Good luck fellas. Have good hunt, keep add it. Best hunting in my opinion is now.
With cool weather, dark of the moon chances will be high. Cripple if the pressure is high try to set up beyond the other hunters. They will chase the deer to you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu