Long Walk (First Time)

WntHnt

May 1, 2023
Hello fellas,
I went out for my first time near Azusa last Sunday and I had a blast! I didn't see anything but one of the guys that we met there shot at a buck and missed. About 10 miles round trip and some sore feet later, we came back empty handed, but I can officially say I'm a deer hunter now!
I'm planning on going out one more time but I'm wondering if the Wilderness areas in Angeles national forest are allowed for hunting. Any info on this would help. I read in the DFW D-11 some of the names of the Wilderness areas, but it doesn't really specify if there are any restrictions. Good luck fellas and happy deer hunting.

I would check with that specific wilderness but wilderness within national forest is good to hunt. It usually means no motorized travel. Thats a good thing.

Secondly, if you were that close to someone shooting a deer you're definitely on the right path. Wayyyyyyyy ahead of where I was when I started. I'd get right back out there and keep learning the area.

I would check with that specific wilderness but wilderness within national forest is good to hunt. It usually means no motorized travel. Thats a good thing.

Secondly, if you were that close to someone shooting a deer you're definitely on the right path. Wayyyyyyyy ahead of where I was when I started. I'd get right back out there and keep learning the area.
Thanks brotha. I'll probably go back to the same spot again.

Thanks brotha. I'll probably go back to the same spot again.

Its never a bad idea to scout/hunt new areas. That said, finding a "gold mine" of deer really isn't a thing here in SoCal on public land. Sometimes your better off learning one spot really well than you are searching for something better. Just food for thought.

Reactions: WntHnt
Thanks for the feedback. I went out again, but didn't see a thing. I didn't go as far as I wanted as we started later then anticipated. However, we did here shots fired and we ran into a hunter who said he missed one.

As a new deer hunter, I'm in shock and awe on how these deer are pulled from these canyons. It is truly a feat stemmed from grit, determination, and maybe reckless abandon. Hunting in these areas is 1000 times harder than any fishing trip I ever had. My hat's off to those who hunt D-11 and the like.

20231104_084302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
From my understanding most of Angeles national forest is huntable. I’ve been out there quite a bit this year as I didn’t get a D14 tag.

Reactions: WntHnt

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu