Looking forward

Tbone

Nov 3, 2013
Hi everybody, I'm Travis. I went hunting for the first time about 15 years ago or so. After taking my first buck when I was 12 my dad and I never really got around to going again. I've recently gained a renewed interest in hunting and hope to learn a lot from you guys. So I'll probably be asking quite a few questions. I have a tag in D11 that I'm hoping to fill this year. My brother-in-law and a friend of mine also have tags in D11 but they can only hunt weekends. I'm a little nervous about field dressing my buck but I've been watching videos on youtube to try and learn and get the gist of it. When it comes to getting the antlers off to mount and the actual butchering I am at a complete loss. Hoping to find a butcher who can help me out. Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to learning something here.

Edit: Added a picture: My grandfather my first buck and I ;D
Firstbuck_zps142baa1e.jpg

For butchering, there is a place called Harmony Farms on foothill in La Crescenta. It's $100 for the first 100lbs then they charge by the pound after that and I can't remember the rate. As far as removing the antlers it is far easier than you might think just YouTube it. Everything is on YouTube

Chain saw than use a drimoll tool to shape that skull cap

Tbone said:
Hi everybody, I'm Travis. I went hunting for the first time about 15 years ago or so. After taking my first buck when I was 12 my dad and I never really got around to going again. I've recently gained a renewed interest in hunting and hope to learn a lot from you guys. So I'll probably be asking quite a few questions. I have a tag in D11 that I'm hoping to fill this year. My brother-in-law and a friend of mine also have tags in D11 but they can only hunt weekends. I'm a little nervous about field dressing my buck but I've been watching videos on youtube to try and learn and get the gist of it. When it comes to getting the antlers off to mount and the actual butchering I am at a complete loss. Hoping to find a butcher who can help me out. Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to learning something here.

Edit: Added a picture: My grandfather my first buck and I ;D

good buck , welcome aboard

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll be sure and check those things out.

Welcome! Awesome first buck, If you learn how to cape the neck and remove the head any taxidermist can take it from their. If you plan on doing the face, practice on every deer you can get your hands on even if it is not going to be mounted. When it comes to butchering Sonny at Harmony Farms will definitely take care of you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu