Looking to get into hunting... (orange county)

Redman

Jun 26, 2013
Hey guys,

My name is Austin and I've recently been wanting to get into hunting. I've never gone before, except for when I was about 12 years old with my grandpa, but I didn't shoot anything.
Well, I gave him a call the other day, told him I was interested in getting into hunting, and me and him are planning a trip up to North Dakota this fall for some pheasant hunting.

In the mean time, I was looking to get a shotgun for some of my own practicing/hunting/shooting down here in California. I've been doing some research on forums and what not and was looking to get either a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.

Problem is, I don't have too much experience with guns, besides a .22, an AR, and an M1. I took a CMP class on the M1 Garand a couple weeks ago where they taught you everything about gun safety, how to operate the rifle, shoot it, etc. I was just curious as to when the right time to buy my first gun would be? I don't want to rush in and get something that I don't really know much about (personal, hands-on experience, not just reading stuff online). Plus I'm in college and don't want to waste some cash on a gun I'm not gonna be happy with and without some friends/mentors to go hunting and shooting with down here!

Any input is appreciated,
Thanks

Welcome to SCH Austin. Don't forget about taking a hunter safety class, you will need it to purchase a hunting license.

You could buy either one of those guns use them and be able to sell them to get most if not all of your money back.
I paid $200.00 for my 870 used and I'm sure I could make money on that If I sold It.

Welcome Austin. I've been rocking a Remington 870 for a few years now. I'm a surgeon with that thing! Abosolutely love it. Can't speak on the Mossburg, but the 870 is a tried and true piece of equipment. Good luck this season.

Welcome!

I have an 870 as well and I absolutely love it.

I've never shot a Mossberg but I've talked to a few people that own them and they seem to be just as happy with their Mossbergs as most 870 owners are with their guns.

I would venture to guess that they will both perform very well - they are proven shotguns. My advice would be to get yourself to a gun shop and hold one of each. You may like the look and feel of one over the other and that could be the deciding factor.

As far as 870s go, I bought mine new at Big 5 for $300 (after mail-in rebate). Big 5 obviously isn't known for selling guns, but they usually have a deal on 870s in the July-August time frame.

My first shotgun was the Mossberg 835 Ulti-Mag. I chose it because it shot the 3 1/2" magnums, and I wanted a shotgun that could "do it all". Well, I never fired a single 3 1/2" shell out of it! I got out of hunting and shooting for a while, and sold that shotgun, without having any problems with it. The only difference between it and the Mossberg 500 was the length of the action, a slightly different barrel design, and a different style of barrel nut. My dad still owns one of these.

I have a friend who owns a 500, and it works well for him, and I've shot it as well. The only problems I've seen with it was a failure to extract issue he ran into a couple years ago, which occurred when we were shooting some old ammo out of it. The boxes said "duck and pheasant load", and contained lead, if that gives you an idea of just how old the shells were. The shells were getting stuck in the chamber, and had to be pried out with a knife/screwdriver. While not as extreme, I went through a similar issue with my Rem 870 not long ago when using brand new Federal loads from WalMart. I didn't have to pry them out, but it took some effort on the forearm to pump 'em out.

I've owned 2 870s, and both have worked like a champ.

The bottom line is that both are great guns, and will serve you well. The 500 will often come with an extra barrel, so maybe that will be the advantage that tips the scales for you.

thanks for all the help guys!

I think I'll go with the Remington 870. Now its just time to save up for two more weeks and get her...

Also, quick question about the 870.

Is there really any advantage to purchasing the 870 super magnum as opposed to the standard 870 express?

And lastly, barrel length? is 26 my best bet for all around shooting? (skeet, hunting, trap, etc for a beginner)

I'm hoping to get into some duck hunting eventually. Will I ever actually need the 3.5 shell? or will the standard 2 3/4 or 3 inch be just fine?

I have shot coyotes with the 3" shells and you know it when you let one go. Personally I don't see a need for 3 1/2's. But then again I'm not a duck hunter.

Welcome to the site Redman. I like the 870 too. 3 inch is just fine for duck. Goose you may want the 3 1/2.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu