Louisiana hunter stuck in California

Duhonsr

Mar 31, 2013
RSM
I new to hunting in Southern California, but no way near new to hunting! I am from the deep southern part of Louisiana where hunting and fishing is the way of life. I move to California to sever my country in the marines, and then got stuck here when I married a California woman. I am looking to show my two young boys the life I grew up in, yet I am having a hard time finding places to go. I am looking anywhere in Southern California, so if anyone can help me I would be greatful.

Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service. There is a lot of public land in California that you can hunt. You will need to get some National forest or some BLM maps.

Can one pick them up at a store like big 5 or bass pro? Thanks I have been quail hunting, looking for a great place to turkey hunt, or duck (when season starts) that don't cost and arm and a leg!

I live out in rsm Orange County but moving to riverside county ( eastvale corona, norco/chio) soon as my house clears.. I know they got some hunting in prado/raahauges, but it seem to cost a hole lot of money!! $200 to duck hunt one time! Crazy! Looking for public land to go for free!

Ok here is the not so quick and dirty on ducks in so cal and other hunting.

As far as public land( excluding refuges ) goes there is none to speak of close by you. For sure nothing near RSM and once you move to Chino you are not much better off. The Prado basin is all private clubs and pay to play. The next closest public land is the Salton Sea( mandatory Boat and scary mud), That is a very difficult place to hunt. Next is the Colorado River. That is a small little 250Mile drive. There are vast areas you can hunt there but you need to learn the river. Lots of closed areas and the ducks do not use the same areas all the time. Its more of a learn the river over years type place. A Dog and a boat are almost mandatory IMHO.

Your best bet to at-least get in some hunting while you learn other places is the Refuge system. We have public access by drawing and a sweat line ( first come first served after all the drawing winners are done) on some pretty good hunting ground. The one nearest to you is San Jacinto
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region6/sanjacinto/
Then out near the Salton Sea there is Wister. It is huge and hosts a lot of hunters 3 days a week.
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/lands/wa/region6/imperial.html
explore the DFG website and you will find other areas you can hunt state wide. There is great duck hunting to be had in calif but its not easy and close to home.

Thanks, looks like I will have to do some traveling! Guess quail and turkey will have to do for now!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu