Mama wants to whack a big buck

MamaBear

Nov 29, 2011
Southern California
Hi folks!

Ok so yeah, I'm not quite a newbie to the forums but I am curious about bow hunting. I would love to kick all your butts in the big buck contest!! I doubt that is likely but hey, a girl can dream.

I have done some shooting but never actually hunted myself and am interested in learning to hunt with a bow.

Being Canadian my ultimate dream is to take a caribou.

What is the best way to start as far as my skills (or lack of)? I am clueless. Do I just go practice somewhere? Where does one practice bow shooting? Do they have rentals there? Do I need to buy one?

Sorry if these sound like silly questions but honestly I need guidance!

Thanks very much!
:)

First, Bruce will get you set up with a bow and adjust it to your draw weight and length. Then you start flinging arrows. Practice wherever you can. Balboa has a range. Lemon Grove Gun Club has a 3D archery shoot that's a lot of fun.

Practice is the key. Once you're consistent, start hunting with it. Scout your local areas for deer and if you want a bear, I have some gps coordinates for you. ;)

Awesome, thank you Breacher! Do I have to go somewhere to practice? The places you mention sound good but if I have enough room in my yard can I practice there? I'm gonna need a LOT of practice.
What kind of distances do you practice at? Do you have to have a license to own a bow?

Thank you again!

I practice anywhere I can that's safe and legal. If your yard is big enough with a safe backdrop, I say go for it. Start out at close range (20 yards) then work your way out from there. I shoot anywhere from 20-80 yards. If you get real good, you can talk to Invisible man or Lungpopper. They take some long shots well past my comfort range.

Join CBH.

No license needed to buy one. But go to a bow shop and get fitted and try as many as you can, if your in SD we have 3 great bow shops one north, east and one in Miramar.

Take some lessons!!!

When your ready to start shopping I have a Bowtech Soldier I may be selling. Its a great bow. I bought it for my boy who only went to the range with me about 4 times. Its in new condition and is perfect for you. Lungpopper can vouch for the condition and quality, Its very adjustable and very fast. Let me know if you want to check it out. John knows where I live. Might save you guys some money on a great hunting bow.

Attachments

• 2013-08-18_13-17-20_837.jpg
    2013-08-18_13-17-20_837.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9
Yep, I loved my Soldier. Great for a first bow. Highly adjustable. They kill stuff too.

Attachments

• IMG_7871.JPG
    IMG_7871.JPG
    4.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5522 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_5522 (640x480) (640x480).jpg
    243.2 KB · Views: 81

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu