Man bites shark!

White Smoke

Black powder rules!
May 2, 2011
Encinitas, CA
shark5.jpg

When/if you get your hands on some fresh shark, here's one of the best recipes I've ever tasted...and it's simple.
Mix up a small bowl of mayonnaise, seasoned with onion pepper (or lemon pepper) and garlic salt. Mix well.
Take some heavy-duty foil and turn the edges up to form a shallow pan. Place the foil on a barbecue, throw on a bunch of butter and sauté some sliced sweet onions seasoned with pepper until they are about half-done. Then add the shark steaks, liberally coated with the mayonnaise mixture and cook until the shark is done.
Put the shark meat on a plate, cover with the onions and enjoy!

I don't know I will ever try that recipe but it sounds good. Now about that shark. That looks like it must have been a battle! Care to share the details?

I saw last week Valley Farms market in spring valley had some thresher for sale. I'm not sure if its a regular thing or a fluke thing but I was thinking about picking some up but didn't know what to do with it. Thanks I'll have to try it.

Pete - Thresher is delicious. Cook it like a steak. Pink in the middle - olive oil, salt & pepper.

Yea I've heard its delicious. The people I've known to catch one, which isn't very many, have been very stingy with their shark steaks.(very understandable) I think I'm going to swing by Valley farms after work one of these days to see if they still have some. Or I guess all else fails Point Loma Seafood would have some right?

I just sent John a write-up of the shark story. I believe he's going to post it here on the website. Basically, it was caught in 2000 off Cat Harbor (back side of Catalina Island) and took 3 1/2 hours to land. It was 10.5' long and weighed just under 800#. 1/4 of it fed 250+ people and the other 3/4 fed the King Harbor Yacht Club for three consecutive weekends.

White Smoke said:
I just sent John a write-up of the shark story. I believe he's going to post it here on the website. Basically, it was caught in 2000 off Cat Harbor (back side of Catalina Island) and took 3 1/2 hours to land. It was 10.5' long and weighed just under 800#. 1/4 of it fed 250+ people and the other 3/4 fed the King Harbor Yacht Club for three consecutive weekends.

Thats a LOT of freakin shark meat! :eek:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu