Map Accuracy

8SteelTown

So I have this spot... near a no-hunting park, but also near BLM land. I viewed the entire boundary of this park. Why in the hell do they mark these off as 1 mile by 1 mile squares on the map when the true area of the boundaries is not even close to a perfect square?!?!?! I'd understand if it was off a little bit, but this is off by over a quarter mile and the difference is me getting a ticket or bagging some game! I'm talking BLM maps, CNF maps, Satellite maps... every one is off. How am I supposed to use maps as a proof of right to hunt when I can't hold any confidence in the graphing they provide? You guys have any experience with this? It's not a MAJOR deal to lose a spot and that's what scouting will show, but I mean COME ON!

What does the "on x map" app say? Proving boundaries is never simple even for a land owner. Often it requires a surveyor to get it exact. Touch base with your warden in that area and see what he says. There are no secrets in so cal, I bet he knows where you are.

Also if this is Riverside County don't forget it's one mile from a city boundary or 300 yards from a park boundary for discharge of a rifle. Please read
www.rivcocob.org/ords/500/514.10.pdf

I talked to the warden and he made it more confusing than it was already. He couldn't even speak to the legality of the area because of the inaccuracy of the data provided and the county closing certain access points, but leaving others open. The park service knew nothing about nothing and didn't want to take the time to give me any valid information.

I have the local and county regs so I know what's legit and what's not as far as that goes. It's just surprising to me that they put out detailed maps and park boundaries that are off by at least a quarter mile. On the map (even on satellite) it doesn't include any water ways. In real life, it not only includes water ways, but the roads that run the water way. There's a 1 mile by 1 mile BLM section that can't even be hunted because of all kinds of wild and crazy circumstances between the county, a local city, and park services.

I just deleted that Hunt On X app... i'll have to redownload it and go check.

GPS is the only way to go I guess... figured the government provided maps would be sufficient to provide at least the basic information accurately.

Thanks guys

Have you tried Trimble GPS and their maps? I scout around there once in a while for pigs and have used the Trimble map packs. They seem to be more accurate with actual boundaries. Game wardens have basically told me to not waste my time there unless I have current maps provides by land surveyors.

mike387 said:
Have you tried Trimble GPS and their maps? I scout around there once in a while for pigs and have used the Trimble map packs. They seem to be more accurate with actual boundaries. Game wardens have basically told me to not waste my time there unless I have current maps provides by land surveyors.

I haven't. I've only used the most up-to-date BLM and CNF Atlas that's available. Government provided... you'd assume it'd be the "bible" for referencing what's legal and what's not as far as Government Established areas (BLM vs County Park vs County Land).

Gotta be frustrating... how and the hell are you supposed to get a relevant recent map done by land surveyors when the majority of the time, they just copy over the previous version boundaries!?!

Next purchase is going to be a sweet GPS. Just going to have to do all the research to find the best model for the price.

Last year I finally purchased a GPS. Garmin Montana 650T. Think I payed about $600, it is worth every penny. You can buy the hunting maps for each state. It will show you with in feet of boundaries and water holes and creeks also show up. Also gives names and numbers for private land owners on case you need to get a hold of some one.

Cali Ridge Runner said:
Last year I finally purchased a GPS. Garmin Montana 650T. Think I payed about $600, it is worth every penny. You can buy the hunting maps for each state. It will show you with in feet of boundaries and water holes and creeks also show up. Also gives names and numbers for private land owners on case you need to get a hold of some one.

That's what I'm talkin' bout!

Garmin Montana and Oregon models are great. That's what I'm going for so I don't have to worry about breaking my damn phone!

I purchased the dash board mount and plugs into power so it always has a full charge when your ready to hike. You can zoom out as your driving and see the different colors for BLM,NF lands. Little pockets of land that no one would think to hunt May hold some game!

I have the Garmin 62s and also Trimble Pro on my phone with elite subscription for $24 per year. I'm using both at the moment. Trimble is a lot cheaper for multi-state use. Garmin , and because it's a subscription it should stay as current as any method with regard to property limits. Garmin requires a $99 chip for each state which gets pricey, and in a few years I assume I'll need a new chip to reflect changes. That said, Garmin updates (refreshes) a little faster than the phone in very remote areas. Not a problem if you are walking, but the Trimble was useless driving in a truck from one area to another in wyoming.

Yeah the signal is the only issue I have with Trimble GPS Hunt on my phone. But I solve that by downloading the state map packs and carrying a compass or cheap gps. Usually a compass.

I got a Garmin Dakota 20 (not the biggest screen but works great!)for Xmas and x maps for birthday. Can't say enough about them. I always know where I am and what's around me. Knowing private land owners is also a great plus.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu