more on the 243

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
the online controversy about the 243 Winchester

http://www.ronspomeroutdoors.com/blog/mild-wild-243-winchester/

and

http://www.petersenshunting.com/gear-accessories/243-winchester-viable-elk-cartridge/

Both are great reads. I am going to be buying a left hand .243 in the near future hopefully before my Javelina hunt in March. John is still trying to talk me into a 260 but I am still leaning towards the 243. Thanks for posting.

Truduct said:
Both are great reads. I am going to be buying a left hand .243 in the near future hopefully before my Javelina hunt in March. John is still trying to talk me into a 260 but I am still leaning towards the 243. Thanks for posting.

ya the 243 x 25.4= 6.172 mm it's a great round. I have personally have had good luck, and never lost an animal with it.
going 40 years. it's just like archery it's all about shot placement. never regretted buying it.

I zero set my rifle at 25 yards, so at 100 and 200 yards it's at approx. 3.8 " high at 300 it's a zero.
that works for me, just my preference. 80 gr soft tip. no fuss no problem.

My 308 I used 125 gr soft tip or silver tips same deal.

Ghost

Good cartridge but not my go to for hunting deer sized game. Especially i would never ever ever take a 243 elk hunting thats rediculous to me. If u want to te d t your skills for shot placement then bowhunt. If i pick up a rifle for hunting it will be plenty of gun for the animal im persuing.

bloodlover said:
Good cartridge but not my go to for hunting deer sized game. Especially i would never ever ever take a 243 elk hunting thats rediculous to me. If u want to te d t your skills for shot placement then bowhunt. If i pick up a rifle for hunting it will be plenty of gun for the animal im persuing.

Honestly I would not use it for Elk, but it does fine for deer. I have plenty of kills
I would prefer 7mm mag or equivalent. but for the local deer here it's plenty good

Ghost

The .243 Winchester or 6mm Remington are beasts in the right hands. And yes Drew, the .260 (IMHO) is a bit more versatile. But you have to go with what makes you happy! ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu