More questions about purchasing a bow.

mochosla

Nov 17, 2013
Hi,

So I'm looking at different bows and I really liked the Mathews Craze or the Riot ($600 to $700 all setup). Went to Pergson's Archery in Ojai and spoke with Bob. Great guy and it is obvious that he knows a lot about bows. I also went to Oak Tree range in San Fernando Valley and they showed me some PSE bows that were very nice as well but seem to be higher end and more expensive ($1200 all setup). I'm also looking at some used bows but given the fact that I have zero knowledge of bows, I'm concern with issues the bows may have. I guess I'm asking for some feedback and guidance as to what direction I should go. So far I have learned that Mathews and PSE are top of the line so knowing me, I should stick with that as in the end, I will want to have one of these. Now, If I make the investment, do I need to go with the more pricey of these brands or would their mid-tier bows be good enough to do the job in the long run? I can spend the $1200 but don't want to if really don't have to.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

BTW, at Oak Tree they let me shoot the bows and did very well. I was able to hit a couple of bull's eye at 20 and 40 yards.

I wouldn't buy used unless you know the seller and can get some history about the bow. You don't need a "pricey" bow to get the job done. The urge to buy top of the line is sometimes driven by marketing and "keeping up with the Joneses". The first two bucks I killed were with an entry level bow. Buy what feels good and what you can afford. I'd take a look at packaged type bows that comes with a sight and rest. Somebody on this site was selling a Bowtech Assassin which is just as good if not better than the other models you mentioned.

Breacher said:
I wouldn't buy used unless you know the seller and can get some history about the bow. You don't need a "pricey" bow to get the job done. The urge to buy top of the line is sometimes driven by marketing and "keeping up with the Joneses". The first two bucks I killed were with an entry level bow. Buy what feels good and what you can afford. I'd take a look at packaged type bows that comes with a sight and rest. Somebody on this site was selling a Bowtech Assassin which is just as good if not better than the other models you mentioned.

Thank you for the advice. I'm stopping by BPS on my way to Big Bear tomorrow to gather more information. A package bow is also an option but I do want something I can use for the next few years and not want to upgrade next year.

Thank you again.

Don't forget Bowtech and Hoyt those are the top 4 manufactures.

You do get what you pay for but I have killed many animals with my first compound from the 80's a PSE Nova.

The high end bows will be faster quieter and more forgiving of bad form. I say go big!

In 2004, I decided to try archery for deer hunting. In 2005, I decided to buy a brand new bow, to replace the old one I bought for $50 from a friend. I went to the Bow 'N' Arrow shop in Lakeside, and met Bruce. He recommended that I come into the shop and shoot the bows that he had (at the time, mostly Mathews and Bowtech). The Mathews Switchback was brand new at the time, and I liked it a lot. I don't remember which model of Bowtech was the latest and greatest at the time, but both felt great. I probably spent an hour deciding which one I liked. After shooting both a bunch, I felt that I could draw the Switchback easier than the Bowtech, in spite of both being set to the exact same draw weight, and that's what made me choose the Switchback. It was just a tad smoother. I shot 2 bucks with it that year, here in San Diego County.

Good bows aren't cheap, and I really wanted to get a bow that would last me at least 10 years. I don't know what advances have been made in bow technology since then, but 8 years later, I don't see any reason to upgrade. The bow worked fantastically then, and it still works fantastically now. I honestly would not buy another bow unless this one broke somehow.

My point is, buy a bow that you can shoot well, and is known for quality. Find one that you think will last you 30 years, spend the money, and enjoy it.

because I am a family man, and I don't have the budget, I do not like to spend more than I need to. here are my thoughts.
read about bows and how it works double cam vs single, speed vs accuracy, reliability vs fancy.

#1 ) price why spend to much because 2 or more years from now the technology will change. and accidents happen
bow gets dropped, stepped on, banged on. if it does not happen then you're not hunting enough.
#2) buy a bow that stands behind it's quality with a warranty like bear. or any other brand that stands behind it's bow.
#3) one of my requirements is weight, I need a bow that is moderately light and it does not feel like it's a ball chain.
also now that I am using tree stands for deer I would like it to be compact. how does it handle while stalking vs hunting from a blind or tree stand.
#4) accuracy is a must. does it feel right, also I found shooting with traditional & now compound. I get better with age, oops I mean my form . :p
#5) most important are you happy. ;D

I bought a Bowtech assassin in 2011. It was my first compound. I am very satisfied. I also believe it is the best bang for your buck. It starts as an out of the box ready to shoot package and has endless available up grades. Also with little experience make sure you pic a good shop to buy from.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu