mountain lion killing a deer

That is freaking awesome nature at its true form, BTW: Lions don't snap the necks of deer, as with all cats they asphyxiate there victim. There teeth are configured so that they fit perfectly around the throat to pinch off the air, after that its all about the venison. It is however funny that people are truly amazed at the power of these Apex predators, I did notice that it looked like a smaller cat. Not that it mattered anyway. Certainly not something you see every day...

Yes you're right, with a meal this big she would need to asphyxiate the prey. I think I still have coyote predation on my mind - our house cat was killed by coyotes (in our own yard) a couple months ago and they broke his neck. With a very small animal it's the easiest way.

On smaller animals cougars can easily break the neck by biting the top of the head or back of the neck. Hard for me to tell: is she a smaller cougar or is that a very large deer?

Looks like a young mountain lion. I like how that sanctuary worker that was recently killed by a "wildcat" - the newspapers didn't want to say "mountain lion."

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu