Must Watch Video ~ explains Head space really well

the case jumps forward when the pin hits causing case head separation. BS with out pics, that's so dumb i cant even imagine why he thinks that. I give you zero points for this video and put your extractor back in your rifle to keep them pesky case heads from flying all over.

Last edited:
the case jumps forward when the primer hits causing case head separation. BS with out pics, that's so dumb i cant even imagine why he thinks that. I give you zero points for this video and put your extractor back in your rifle to keep them pesky case heads from flying all over.
I think what you meant to say was, when the fireing pin hit primer.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
I like the third video the best, I think he did a very good job explaning head space and stretch
in laymans terms, very good I thought.
basics : all metals have a percentage of elongation, Elastic and plastic state. once a metal goes beyond elastic into plastic state, it has yielded.
streching to far it goes beyond it's ultimate tensile stress and it fails.
Instead of using calipers as a height gage, I would use an indicator with a stand on a surface plate.
check the measurement over the gage, or micrometers are more accurate than a caliper, not necessary but that's me.
and if any one disagrees with the videos do please pick it apart. won't hurt my feeling and is good for discussion.
but keep it with respect, when people attack instead of rational discussion, you are the one losing respect.

PS I saw suggestions of using a pick tool to check the inside of the cartrige, if necking (undercut) is felt the cartridge is about to fail,
it has reached it's ultimate stress level, I would suggest to toss it away, better to be safe.
all be safe..

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu