My First Ever Hunt

joe.rizk

Feb 23, 2013
So I went Hunting for the first time ever with my father and one of his friends. i choose big horn canyon ranch do to the ease of commute and i could do it with my extremely busy schedule. i had a few good real opportunities at some big razor backs but i didn't feel comfortable tacking the shot threw the underbrush at 60 yards. Before i could get to an angle where my arrow was not having to travel threw underbrush my dad spooked him and the pack ran off. I ended up staring down a feral hog 210 pounds at about 30 yards, i drew back and waited what felt like an eternity and someone made noise it turned broad side to run and i put my arrow thew the lungs. Now my questions was how do i put down a hog more humanly, i ended up waiting about ten minutes for it to die, as the other hogs were keeping us back, how do i scare the other hogs, and do i use my knife? try and put another arrow threw the head? i just don't know. and over all it just didn't seem as challenging as i would of liked, any suggestions or do i just not understand what hunting is about.

ps. the meat tastes amazing.

Attachments

• DSC00337.JPG
    DSC00337.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
Welcome to SCH.

Big horn canyon is a good place to get your first bow kill and get a feel of what its like to kill an animal.
Wild animals wont be anything like that, they will be much harder to stalk and wont wait around for you to put an arrow through them. As for killing more humanly. We all try to do our best to kill humanly bow or rifle, but not all shots are equal. Some will be great and some not so great. Be patient and don't push the animal to quickly.

In the wild you wont have to worry about other hogs hanging out, they will be putting miles between you and them.

Congrats on your first bow kill.

Lungpopper said:
Welcome to SCH. Big horn canyon is a good place to get your first bow kill and get a feel of what its like to kill an animal.

Wild animals wont be anything like that, they will be much harder to stalk and wont wait around for you to put an arrow through them. As for killing more humanly. We all try to do our best to kill humanly, but not all shots are equal. Some will be great and some not so great. Be patient and don't push the animal to quickly.

In the wild you wont have to worry about other hogs hanging out, they will be putting miles between you and them.

Congrats on your first bow kill.

Could not have said it better. Congratulations on getting your feet wet and thanks for the great first post. And welcome to SCH!

Great looking pig. Im sure it is really good eating. And for good reason, but I will just say there are some way more exiting pig hunts available for you, And nice shot.

Sweet, that's what i was really hopping to here, do you have any recommendations on hog hunts.

Congrats and welcome to the site!

I have bow hunted long enough to have seen the good, the bad and the ugly. Sometimes the best shots will result in a scene not meant for the weak at heart. Obviously we'd all love for the animal to die as quickly as possible and out of sight but that just isn't always the case. It looks like you put a great shot on it and even though the animal did not die instantly (they almost never do) you did your part in waiting for a shot that you were confident in. IMO your animal did not suffer. Much like when we humans suffer some sort of trauma these animals go into shock as well. Therefore I wouldn't think that the animal felt much of anything except the desire to fight for its survival.

I personally have had to put an extra arrow into a deer on two occasions. My first one I took a shot that I never should have taken due to lack of light. I shot this deer in the hind quater and it dropped...screaming the whole time! This was my second ever deer and the first one that I ever put a successful ground stalk on. On my other one I was hunting from a stand in Texas I spined a deer and it dropped. As it laid there with it's head up it was an easy shot at the vitals and it died within seconds after the second arrow. I can almost grantee that you will have no two hunts that play out exactly the same which makes bow hunting so exciting and challenging.

Hey Joe, What does it cost to take a pig at that place these days? I might take my 14 year old up there if its not to much. And check out dougswildernessadventures.com

at big horn canyon it cost about $400 for a hog, i'd rather go hunt with doug, its local and its cheaper, and its probably a better tasting hog 8)

Congrats on the pork chops ! Looks like a good shot. What broadhead were you using?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu