My first solo hunt...

Chrispphotog

Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, CA.
Next week I will be going on my first solo hunt in San Jacinto, CA. This will be my second time ever hunting waterfowl.

Do you guys have any tips for me, maybe about the area im going to hunt in or anything else that might be helpful? I am also going to try and shoot some quail while I am in San Jacinto since there is an Upland bird section there.

I will be using a 12 gauge Remington 870. Steel Shot for the Waterfowl, most likely some 3" 1+1/8 oz #4 shot at 1550-1560 fps.

I only have a dozen decoys, 6 mallards, 6 Green Winged teal. Im gonna go pick up 6 Pintails this weekend and a Jerk chord as well and I got my Chest Waders in the mail this week.

Looking forward to some input on either aspect of my hunt (upland and waterfowl). Cheers!

your decoys are fine i would hold off on setting up more... this late in the year less is more. If it was me i would go set the hen mallards and teal out :) might want to go practice with the jerk cord at home first before deploying it in the field. Stay quiet and do not call. what ever duck sounds you think you can make at this point are not going to help and even if you were a pro caller it still might not help. Tell the guys at the refuge you are a newbie they will and can help you! Did you get a draw or you just going to sweat line it?

Your gun is fine and so is the ammo. Stick a mod choke in and go have fun.

The quail is prob not worth the walking, Its pretty picked over by this time of the year and food is all over the place right now. Then again you never know but i would not burn the boots up.

This is the big thing!!! do not be scared to frack up. It's duck hunting and not life or death even some refuge clowns think it is. Try to play it cool but do not be scared to pull the trigger. Ya need to learn what in range is. No shame in not knowing and learning how it works. I give you huge props for taking on your second duck hunt solo! pm me if you want my number im full of all kinds of worthless info :)

Chris, I've hunted SJWA and have been pretty successful. The only thing I would suggest, my 2 cents, bump up to some 2s I was out there on Saturday and most the birds were flying high and fast. Wind was blowing good and the birds were on the move. What I noticed is the 4s just didn't have the stopping power. With the wind the ducks I hit would dive for the reeds then it's good luck without a dog. Again, my 2 cents, pm me if you have other questions. I can get you more info on it.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu