NC/SC Annual Deer Hunt - no luck this year

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
IMG_0719.JPG IMG_0030.JPG
Had a great time on my family week in Charlotte NC. Hunted SC (30 miles outside Charlotte). Spent a lot of time with family and that may have impacted my success with deer, but I don't regret it.

Hunted Sunday morning and afternoon (11/20). Saw two does in the afternoon but they barely exposed themselves as they passed my stand (in that area of the country the hunters do not spot-n-stalk because being on the ground in the woods during deer season is dangerous - when in Rome, do as the Romans - so I stayed in the stand rather than stalking them).

I didn't hunt again until Tuesday afternoon. I was overconfident that day, thinking I knew exactly where the deer would appear. But as one would expect, the deer did not appear.

My last hunt was Thursday morning (Thanksgiving). I went back to the stand about 75min before sunrise. 15min before shooting time a deer walked by about 25 yards from me. I could hear every foot step and knew exactly the path that the deer was on, but I couldn't see it (even through my binos because the woods were darker than the surrounding area). I hoped the deer would stay in the area, but it moved through slowely and was gone by first light. I didn't see any deer that morning.
My brother-in-law is still hunting there until the season ends on Jan 1st. So I'm sure that I will hear a success report. But for me, I didn't get one this year.
My 7 year old son dressed for hunting but we didn't take him out yet (maybe next year).
Cheers to a great week with family and enjoying the outdoors.

Last edited:
Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hi Dan

Way to get out there. From every unsuccessful hunt it makes us better. You are due. Way to get out there. To me every day we get in the woods is a good success.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu