Need help planning hunting trip

JordanG7

Dec 25, 2020
Howdy,

I am posting on here, looking for some guidance in terms of planning a hunting trip for my father. A quick bit about him, and I apologize if this sounds like a dating profile. My pops is a unique hunter. He is been hunting wild duck for the past 3 years over by the southern portion of the Salton Sea. He has always wanted to go turkey hunting but he is very stubborn and will only go hunting for wild game. Thus, he makes planning a surprise hunting trip almost impossible here in Cali. He won't go on any guided tour but, he is friendly and wouldn't mind learning from someone else. Once again this is contradictory I know but he is very anti-GUIDED TOUR HUNTING. He doesn't care if he is not able to successfully hunt something and doesn't have a preference for a specific animal.

Does anyone have a recommendation for where to go WILD hunting? The greater the chance of a successful hunt the better but he doesn't really care as long as he gets the experience under his belt.

Also, does anyone need a hunting buddy, or would be willing to have him tag along? Once again I know this isn't a Tinder dating website for hunters lol but he's a nice guy who has hunted before.

Any help or guidance is appreciated, Happy Holidays!!!!

Best turkey hunting is in norcal, sorry can't recommend any places up there though as I don't hunt turkey up that way.

Sweet thanks for the reply. Just to clarify it can be any kind of hunting as long as its wild. We are living in the valley over by LA so anything social would be awesome but he will drive up North no problem.

Sounds like planted birds & high fence hunts are what you/he want to avoid.

Sounds like planted birds & high fence hunts are what you/he want to avoid.

Got it and noted it. Any particular hunts more successful out here in California? Does quail fall into that category?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu