need tag help fast

Gspman

Dec 2, 2014
North LA county
Ive been looking all over the web for this info but no luck it occurred to me as my son and i are getting eady to head out for the next 2 days to fill his A31 either sex tag does a buck still have to have 2 points at least on one side? what if its a younger buck that doesn't have antlers yet so i dont know if its a male or not?

we already agreed he was not going to take a mother with yearlings but this buck thing has me questioning things with regards to the bucks and the points for this either sex tag?

thanks for any info or links to the info you guys may have

hey sorry this can be deleted i found it thanks

§351. Forked-Horn Buck, Antlerless and Either-Sex Deer Defined.
  • (a) Forked-Horn Buck Defined. For the purpose of these regulations a forked-horn buck is defined as a male deer having a branched antler on either side with the branch in the upper two-thirds of the antler. Eyeguards or other bony projections on the lower one-third of the antler shall not be considered as points or branches.
  • (b) Antlerless Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, antlerless deer are defined as female deer, fawns of either sex other than spotted fawns, and male deer with an unbranched antler on one or both sides which is not more than three inches in length.
  • (c) Either-Sex Deer Defined. For the purpose of these regulations, either-sex deer are defined as antlerless deer as described in Section 351 (b), or legal bucks that have two or more points in the upper two-thirds of either antler. Spike bucks may not be taken.

Note that a spike has at least one antler that is 3" long. In the east, we call unantlered males "button bucks".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Note that a spike has at least one antler that is 3" long. In the east, we call unantlered males "button bucks".

So if a deer has 2 points on one side and the other side is a single 5" antler, is it a spike or a forked horn buck? Would said buck be legal to take?

So if a deer has 2 points on one side and the other side is a single 5" antler, is it a spike or a forked horn buck? Would said buck be legal to take?

That's a fork. All you need is a fork on one side to be legal.

...or more precisely, "a legal antlered deer"

Yup.. aka fork-n-horn.

Adding to this discussion, where in the regs does it define a measurable point? I know the old adage of "if u can hang a ring on it" but what is the actual definition? Every now and then I'll see a buck that has one of those questionable nubby forks, either from rubbing or poor growth. I know I can reread the regs but just wondered if anyone knows off the top of their head.

I know here in D16 on the A22, a spike less than 3 inches is considered . a legal kill with archery hunt. If a small Forky has a distinguished fork no problem.
Disclaimer read the wild life and fish requlation. Never go by hear say., if the fork It had a questionable fork, I would personnely let it pass. I would let it grow. Edited corrected

Last edited:
I know here in D16 on the A22, a spike less than 6 inches is considered . a legal kill with archery hunt. If a small Forky has a distinguished fork no problem.
Disclaimer read the wild life and fish requlation. Never go by hear say., if the fork Ihad questionable fork, I would personnely pass. I would let grow.
Yea for sure, I've never taken a questionable buck and don't plan to. If he doesn't look solid in my glass I'll let him pass.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
A31 is an either sex tag
I believe you can tag a short spike under 2"

Man of few words

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu