New, Getting started

Flecko

Apr 26, 2013
Coastal San Diego
Hey all!

Let me introduce myself. I'm originally from Pacific NW Washington. I grew up at the end of a 8 mile dead end road, between a mountain and a lake. As there were no neighbor kids around, my best friend was the forest ;D (that's not to say that I am anti-social, otherwise why would I be on this forum?). I grew up backpacking and backcountry skiing (telemark). I have also worked in the outdoor industry if anyone has any technical questions about boots, backpacks, camping gear, etc.

Lots of outdoor experience, (almost) no hunting experience.

I moved to San Diego about 4 years ago and started spearfishing. I love to stalk fish and fill the freezer with dinner. My favorite fish is Halibut. Spearfishing stayed my hunger to hunt, but not for long. I miss the hills and forest.

I just bought my own first rifle from Fine Firearms (awesome place, if you haven't been there yet, go already!). I am a lefty, so I got a Tikka T3 Light SS .270 with a Leupold 3.5x10 Boone & Crockett. I haven't picked it up yet (some issues with my wife; I got it all sorted out, haha). I am sooooo excited to get it dialed in!

I'm looking to start hunting for deer. I'd like to go out somewhere where there are trees. I want to enjoy being in the outdoors more than only looking for deer. Scouting seems like it should be the best part (It's the sides that define the top, no?).

I can't wait to hear about advice and adventure! I can use all the info I can get about SoCal huntin!

Best,
Mitch

Welcome Flecko. First thing, How do you grow up there and not start to hunt the day you learn to tie your shoes? And that's one fine rifle you bought. Not to mention the best value in glass in the business.

I am regretful about never taking advantage of the abundance of deer in WA. We called them long legged rats because they would demolish a garden (apple trees, roses, veggies, berries...). I do plan on going home to hunt with my cousins in the near future.

Thanks for validating my rifle choice. Took me a long time reading and researching. First gun's a big deal! Holding a Tikka, sliding the bolt... It sold itself!

Flecko said:
I am regretful about never taking advantage of the abundance of deer in WA. We called them long legged rats because they would demolish a garden (apple trees, roses, veggies, berries...). I do plan on going home to hunt with my cousins in the near future.

Thanks for validating my rifle choice. Took me a long time reading and researching. First gun's a big deal! Holding a Tikka, sliding the bolt... It sold itself!

Most people kill rats.......just sayin. :) Welcome to the site.

Welcome to the site Mitch...and BTW - your rifle is done and looks great!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu