New hunter questions

DBurger

Aug 3, 2014
Hello,
I've been on one coyote hunt so far and learned very quickly how NOT to dress in 95+ degree heat. I am now looking into picking up some more appropriate hunting attire and am curious about camo patterns and materials. Anyone have any pointers on picking out the right camo? Any suggestions on clothing/material for hot weather hunting that won't break the bank?

As far as apps go, I've been looking at the Trimble and OnX hunting apps for Android. Both seem to do the basic land ownership role but I am curious if there are other features I should look for. Both apps seem to have a lot of features and I'm not sure how useful they are. Any info would be appreciated.

Also, any tips in general are appreciated since I am very new and have a LOT to learn.

Thanks

For hot weather gear, I recently picked up a pair of BPS' Redhead Tec-Lite pants which are really light and airy. I think I got em on sale for $30. Otherwise something comparable by Under Armor might be in the $80 range.

I go with whatever is available in my closet... sometimes its jeans/511 cargo pants and a camo shirt and face mask... ;) my opinion is that if you have a decoy out they will be zoned in on that.. just don't move and you will be ok... what area are you hunting?

So far I've only been out near Otay Lakes. Mostly dirt, rock, and brown vegetation. I have a brown cotton shirt and tan cotton pants that seemed to work but I was looking at something possibly better for the heat (it was 95 degrees). My folly was that I had a synthetic shirt on under the cotton shirt and it caused me to overheat once the sun came out. I won't be doing that again. Perhaps I should stick with what I have for another hunt and see how it works out without the synthetic shirt.

Any other suggestions, tips, gear checklists and what not are welcome. I'm just getting started out and don't have much other than very basic clothes, a camel pack, and a rifle.

being that I'm a native of the imperial valley the heat is always in our equation, I usually hunt morning till it gets hot and evening when it starts cooling off... I would just try and hunt with what you have and go from there.... these days with so much gear available we get blinded by that and forget about the basics of hunting, I try and not get sucked into all that gear stuff and just go with what I have and buy as I can afford if it is really necessary. don't get me wrong having killer gear is awesome if you can afford it. Good luck, if you ever come down to the valley hit me up so I can point you in the right direction.

I picked up a Redhead Endura skin long sleeve shirt from Bass Pro Shop for archery season and its great I can hike in 95+ weather with it keep me cool and it was only 20-25 bucks too!! I like it more then my badlands element in warmer weather

Wow - this was left wide open for Aeon to comment! ;D

He loves to talk about hunting clothing...

Well i'm no expert but that's not gonna stop me from offering you a few thoughts :) First, stay away from cotton. You can get great deals on wicking polyester long or short sleeve t shirts at any military surplus. Look for Rothco Brand shirts on line or in the surplus stores: under $15 and they are the bomb. And check the clearance racks at REI. Stretch material is great, but avoid anything with >8% Spandex because it doesn't breathe. Camo is great IF it matches your surroundings but to me it seems over-rated and over-priced. Around here sand, brown, or khaki colors do great, and can be pretty cheap. Also look at the material and make sure it isn't shiny. Coyotes and other animals can see UV, so sheen on your clothing sets you apart from your surroundings. Just look at how reflective it is and whether it has reflective material or logos. Hope this helps.

some type of light weight cheap blind that would keep the sun of you might be good to. or setup under oaks or some type of tree to get shade. it's 10 deg cooler. I don't hunt in this kind of weather. during the middle of the day. I second what ivhunter said. Mornings and after noons. take as much water you can carry. any light weight breathable clothing. with a big hat.

Ghost

Thank you all for the great information. If anyone has any feedback on the apps or any other general tips I'd love to hear from you.

Walmart in eastlake has realtree under armor style long sleeves for twelve bucks. That's what I wear and they work great ounce you start sweating and it soaks the shirt.

I prefer camo that is longsleeved/legged, cheap, synthetic, and has a nice wide-open pattern, in that order. I'll wear cotton, if it was cheap or free, but synthetic is far superior. These camo patterns that are tight and convoluted all look like one dark blob at a distance, and in my opinion, are merely fashion, as opposed to effective. I like lightweight BDU-type pants, in any color besides Army ACU (that stuff stands out worse than blaze orange, I think).

That being said, I tend to think Aeon's perspective on camo clothing should be heeded more often than not. But I don't like wearing jeans on a hot sweaty day, 'cuz they start to chafe, if ya know what I mean....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu