New kid on the block

Espike11

Dec 10, 2013
Hello all,

Just wanted to get a quick hello and ask a few questions while I hopefully grab some peoples attention. Coming up in January I will be getting my hunting license to go along with my new Browning A5 that I'm snagging myself as a personal Christmas gift (the best kind). I was hoping for some advice with the accessories, such as camo, areas to hunt, and any other advice anyone might have for a newbie.

I'm looking primarily get into hunting dove, quail, chucker, pheasant, and turkey. With that comes the question of camo. Any advice for an appropriate camo for southern California? I was looking into Realtree's max-1 but didn't want to get anything before I asked around.

Thanks for the time, and any advice is welcomed advice!

Eric

Welcome to the site.

Here is my opinion on camo....don't overthink it.

Where are you from. Might help us point you in a direction.

Thanks everyone!

I'm from South Orange County. I mainly didn't want to look like the odd man out on my first hunt. From the little research I've done, it seems like I would need camo for turkey and dove (if I'm incorrect please somebody tell me otherwise).

I can tell you one thing on the camo (IMO)... I've hunted multiple locations for dove with and without camo. When the dove sees you without camo, they make a 90 degree snap away from you... the last 2 times I've gone for dove, I've been in full camo and limited out in 30 minutes once and 2 hours the next... I've had dove fly into trees 10 feet from my face. If you're going to hunt, why not wear camo. Not like it affects your shots. It could only help.

Espike11 said:
I'm from South Orange County. I mainly didn't want to look like the odd man out on my first hunt. From the little research I've done, it seems like I would need camo for turkey and dove (if I'm incorrect please somebody tell me otherwise).

I've hunted with guys that wear board shorts and cutoff t's. There are dudes on this site that have gone with nothing (literally). You'll run into the hardcore Upland older dudes that wear the full upland gear and sport the over-under shotties (no offense gentlemen). Being that you're in South OC, you're going to have to drive regardless of what you want to hunt. If you're undecisive, buy some cheap stuff and go scout around with a buddy. check yourself against various backdrops and get your bud's opinion on how concealed you are.

Welcome to the site.
As far as camo goes, realtree is good down here. My favorite is my cabelas zone western (I think that's what it's called) it blends in great with the sage brush as well as the woodland areas down here. My light weight gear is realtree and my cold gear is the cabelas stuff. Find what you like and go with it.
From south OC you can always head out the Ortega and hit up San Jacinto or Lake Perris area. They were swarming with dove the weekend before opener but then the thunder storms pushed them all out. Or head out to imperial valley. This was my first year hunting and while my success was low I got out there, did a lot of scouting and a lot of learning. I'm hooked now.

Don't over think the camo just get something close to cover you hunt in. One of the keys to successful dove hunting is to stay still until you are ready to shoot. Movement spooks the birds. Get some 1oz 7 1/2 or 8 shot loads and hit a skeet or sporting clays course for some practice. Then you will be ready to tear it up!

Hallx7 said:
Welcome to the site.
As far as camo goes, realtree is good down here. My favorite is my cabelas zone western (I think that's what it's called) it blends in great with the sage brush as well as the woodland areas down here. My light weight gear is realtree and my cold gear is the cabelas stuff. Find what you like and go with it.
From south OC you can always head out the Ortega and hit up San Jacinto or Lake Perris area. They were swarming with dove the weekend before opener but then the thunder storms pushed them all out. Or head out to imperial valley. This was my first year hunting and while my success was low I got out there, did a lot of scouting and a lot of learning. I'm hooked now.

X2... I'm rocking the same gear.

Here's a pretty good article on Camo. 2 pages. http://www.camouflagepatterns.com/
"Camouflage Effectiveness" gives a list of some top manufacturers too.

8SteelTown said:
Hallx7 said:
Welcome to the site.

X2... I'm rocking the same gear.

Good man

8SteelTown said:
Here's a pretty good article on Camo. 2 pages. http://www.camouflagepatterns.com/
"Camouflage Effectiveness" gives a list of some top manufacturers too.

That's a great site!
8)

Sent via Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu