New to forum and hunting

Socal_Sapper

Oct 21, 2013
Hey everyone! I live in the San Fernando valley and am looking to get into hunting. I'm not really sure what yet, which is why I'm here doing some research. I'd really love to hunt a little bit of everything but I want to learn one technique at a time before I move on to new game. I currently like to bass fish and go hiking.

Background: I'm originally from Boston, MA and joined the Army at 22 years old. I was stationed in Fort Hood, TX but didn't have the good sense to get in some good hunting while I was there. Met my beautiful wife in Dallas and when I got out in 2006 we moved to the SFV so we could be closer to her family. I work in online advertising and sit at a desk 8 hours a day, so any time spent outside is greatly appreciated.

Cant wait to get to know y'all.

Welcome to the site and thank you for your service. If you don't have a hunting license, you're going to need to go through the Hunter Safety course before you get it. Best thing to start with is to know your surrounding areas. Lots of national forest in all directions from you in the valley. Look into the BLM (Bureau of Land Management) maps... they're pretty cheap. Angeles National Forest maps as well. The best thing you can do for yourself is get familiar with the California state regs and get to scouting. Normally, people will start with Upland Bird or varmint. If you immediately start on deer, pig, bear, etc, you may not know what you're doing and end up scaring game away before you even know what you're doing wrong. Good luck to you... make sure you post up some pics when you start dropping game.

Welcome to the SCH website - thanks for serving our country!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu