"Newbie" from San Diego

T

TGates13

Good Morning,

I have been lurking around here for a few days and figured that it was 'bout time I introduced myself. My name is Tom and I am originally from Upstate New York. I have hunted before, just spent most of my time in the woods in NY and PA. Now I am looking to start venturing around the woods out here. I have done a lot of research so far and have only been frustrated because CA has a lot more rules and regulations than NY. For those of you not familier with NY, you buy a license and can hunt anywhere except for a few certain areas, you don't have to hold specific zone tags.

I have always favored my bow over a shotgun or a rifle when hunting, I don't know why, just always have. I am actually looking to start hunting the elusive Wild Hog with a bow. I attend my Hunter Safety Course in January and will be looking to start shortly after. I have access to some private land, however, I do not know if the hogs are on that land yet. It is located right around the corner from Lake Cuymaca. Does anyone have any good areas that are public lands where I can start doing some scouting where there are hogs?

I appreciate everyones help and look forward to sharing my knowledge of hunting and the outdoors with you.

Hope ya'll have a great day.

Tom
AKA: CamoT

Hi Tom. I just joined myself a couple days ago. I live in San Diego county as well (Oceanside). Good job on finding that private land! I shoot a bow too (longbow). Thats all I will be hunting with. Anyway, welcome and good luck with everything.

Jeremy

Welcome aboard Tom, You said you've hunted NY and PA but you are referencing your hunter saftey course. If you have an old license you might be able to by pass the course and get out a little soonerr. Most of SoCal's hunting is over by January (pigs are open all year though), Just food for thought.

Lungpopper said:
Welcome to SCH Tom. Those hogs your talking about are elusive, there is a lot of talk about them but not seeing many killed locally.
I know of 5 that have been killed by 2 guys there tight lipped on where at

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu