Not really a long range.. Build Updates

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
Well I finally embarked on my LR308 (AR-308) Build. I am under the impression most of you guys are bolt gun guys... but after I build my first AR-15 I could not wait to start the LR308.

Parts on hand:

Lower reciver was an 80% arms recevier milled by Jdrivsd619 home machining 8)
Stock is a magpul ACS-Light
Standard buffer tube and hardware
JP Enterprises rifle length silent capture buffer piston
DPMS Lower parts kit
Aero Precision upper reciver
JP Low Mass Bolt carrier

Parts on order:

18.5" Fulton armory light weight pencil barrel
Pre headspaced Fulton armory bolt head
JP Enterprise adjustable gas block
JP Enterprise modular light weight 15" hand guard

Parts Im trying to decide on:

Muzzle Break: either the AAC MK-13 SD, Lantac Dragon for 7.62 (open to opinions and ideas let me know what breaks you guys run looking for something light)
Scope: either Vortex PST 2.5-10x44, or Bushnell Elite tactical 2.5-16x42 (open to ideas and opinions as well)
My scope budget is no more then $700

Im really excited and planning on using this as a closer range hog rifle for shots between at my feet to 400 yards

Does fine firearms do head-spacing and assembling of bolt guns?

Re: Not really a long range build.... But!!

Very nice sounding. I Love ar's ar10s and ar15's they are great hog guns as well as anything else. ive alwaqys had the bug. I got it a long time ago and i never got over it.

but a correction. YOU milled the receiver on a friends mill. your friend DID NOT mill your receiver. Im sure your mistaken.

keep us posted on how it finishes and shoots. In my experience ar10's need the buffer weight tuned some what. they seam to be a little more picky about ammo and problems with short stroking then ar15's

GSPman said:
Very nice sounding. I Love ar's ar10s and ar15's they are great hog guns as well as anything else. ive alwaqys had the bug. I got it a long time ago and i never got over it.

but a correction. YOU milled the receiver on a friends mill. your friend DID NOT mill your receiver. Im sure your mistaken.

keep us posted on how it finishes and shoots. In my experience ar10's need the buffer weight tuned some what. they seam to be a little more picky about ammo and problems with short stroking then ar15's

By saying milled by Jdrivsd619 (I mean myself) and by home machining I mean my router my vice and my jig, I didn't use a mill non of my "friends" had the proper program on their machines which kind of sucked but i learned how to cut aluminum and use a router

I have heard people having gas issues with their AR10's this is why i am running a complete JP Enterprise gas system from buffer, bolt carrier, gas tube, adjustable gas block. Im hoping to limit my time messing with my system once I nail down a sweet lead free load

Yea sorry i did not make the connection but you get what im saying. i actually knowof people getting in some trouble by having "friends" or others mill there lowers.

anyway sounds like a really nice build.

GSPman said:
Yea sorry i did not make the connection but you get what im saying. i actually knowof people getting in some trouble by having "friends" or others mill there lowers.

anyway sounds like a really nice build.

Yeah same...... but man its really cool routing it your self. Do you have any suggestions on muzzle break and or optic ?

I run a CRG Muzzle brake. Ive had some VERY expensive brakes(over $200) and this one in my experience of shooting and building ARs for nearly 20 years, works as good if not better then any of the other ones. it makes it nearly Zero recoil. My rifle does not move off target at all when shot and it can be fired all day with no shoulder pain at all. for 12 bucks it means i can put that money into better scope. my 2c

as for scopes, since i hunt with mine and it gets some what abused and im by no means rich i use bushnel bone collector series scopes. its very good out to about 500 yards. keep in mind my current ar10 is an LR243. all the same just shoots a 243.

I did a google search on CRG and coolant come up with anything specific? But thats a great idea!!! The thing is this is going to be an SPR (special perpious rifle) that I don't plan on using for work past 500 maximum I'm going to use a heavy bullet with a good BC at a decent pressure and velocity to try and get as much kinetic energy out of it between 100-200 yards!!!

I was also considering the new vortex strike eagle 1-6x24.
I use a 6.5 for my longer range intentions currently. And have shot out to 500 with easy with a zeiss 4-12x44
Im just super torn ???

Upper receiver has been built and just got my scope in all I'm waiting for is the scope mount and to finish routing the lower out.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    662.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2310.jpg
    IMG_2310.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2311.jpg
    IMG_2311.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
for the scope i went with a vortex viper PST 2.5-10x44 I like the adjustable turrets and the illumination of the ebar moa reticule I can't wait to mount this and ring some steel in the dessert

Attachments

• IMG_2336.jpg
    IMG_2336.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2337.jpg
    IMG_2337.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
Nice, you will like that scope a lot. When hunting get in the habit of checking to make sure your turrets are at zero. The windage on my pst is very prone to turning in the case or when driving around.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu