Not the normal birthday present

Randomshot

Feb 12, 2012
Lakeside, CA
I've been working recently to make my wife a more proficient shot at the range. Regrettably all of my hand guns are set up for me as a lefty so I decided to buy her one of her own. We made a trip down to Fine Firearms in La Mesa to look at a couple of handguns. I was looking to get her into something small like a Beretta 84 but once the gun was in her hand we found that the grip was a little too large and the recoil spring to stout for her to operate easily. That's when our friendly neighborhood SCH moderator NBK stepped in and walked us through the features of the Beretta PX4 storm. This gun had inter changeable back straps, ambi safety/ decok, and an accessory rail. John helped us switch out to a smaller back strap which fit her hand better and she was able to operate the gun controls and slide easily. After briefly discussing the gun with her I decided to pull the trigger on the debt card and get my birthday shopping for my wife out of the way. I remember once hearing that it is better to get something you need than something you want so we will have to see if my better half agrees. Since this will be her gun I had her take her Handgun Safety Cert and dros it in her name which was a new experience in itself for her. Thanks again to John for the recommendation and patience as we went through the entire process.

BTW, I know decok is not spelled correctly but when you spell it correctly the site changes it to dewiener which would be a painful function on any gun :eek:

I know what you mean Random. I took a buddy in there a few weeks ago to get fitted for a center fire rifle, and we were greeted by NBK also. After a brief interview NBK set up a couple diff rifles and My buddy ended up leaving there the proud owner of a rifle that totally fit his needs. Those guys are great. He went with a Ruger American in 30/06. Topped off with a Leupold. And he spent a few bucks less then expected. But that's ok they will get it next time because he will be back.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu