off grid solar power

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
Any of you guys experts on solar power in off grid setups?

i want to power my starlink 24/7 with just panels and batteries.

How much power does the starlink draw ?
Shouldn’t be much.

My place I run lights, refrigerator, ceiling fans, microwave.
Solar panels produce 1,400 watts to the charge controller, to 6-6volt batteries, to the 2,000 watt inverter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeon
Watching this. I want to convert my house so I can run off the grid in an emergency

Do you want the setup to be portable or no?

They are more expensive but the portable power boxes are incredibly handy. I have a Jackery.

OK i went off the deep end here....

so the mission is a GO! i will start with the fact that i am a duck nerd big time so saving money is in the DNA. Even if saving that dollar cost me twenty :)

so here is where i am at now

Starlink needs less than 40watts on average to run, its pretty efficient. So step one was to get enough panels to support it. the general consensus with the nerds is 200watts worth would be more then enough. so i am searching for panels and FB came though. had one dude with a pallet of used 200watt panels for 60 bucks. Also found a random chick in south OC with two new 260watt panels. she wanted 300 each for them. so i low balled her and she agreed to 200 for both. so now i have 520watts of panel....
20221218_125918.jpg

Reactions: ilovesprig
next up a mppt controller and battery.... stand by

Thanks @Lungpopper but the panels need a bigger controller :) 36volts at 8.3amps each

the panels are big but i have a hard time believing they can generate that much

Reactions: Lungpopper
Hooked up the panels and charge controller to a 100ah lifepo4 bat. With the panels just laying against the house it charged at 32amps

Screenshot_20221224-124939.jpg

Well it works!!! Made mounts for the panels out of 2x4s, mounted up the parts to see how they work. I'll clean it up later or I won't. It's ugly but functional.. Starlink draws almost no power so I think I'm good to go for now

20221229_150552.jpg

20221229_170924.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu