Off season project

Aeon

just a dude who duck hunts
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Feb 16, 2011
With no big projects to tackle in this off season I finally am getting around to building my reloading bench the way I want. 4x4 frame with. 1.5" plywood deck. I am still undecided what to use for a wearing course on the bench top. Anyone have any good ideas?
20140408_195543_zpsgulsoawn.jpg

Something hard, flat and easy to clean. Oh and white...

melamine would work but I'm not a huge fan of it.

Plastic laminate.....do the edges first then the top. I also like a hole some ware on the top for trash. And a rail helps on one edge for those rolling primers and cases.

Dont use white......any color but black or gray mines green. Looks good against the brass!

You mean like formica? Thought that stuff was brittle?

Formica is a brand name

It's true name high pressure plastic laminate or thier is a low pressure plastic laminate.

Call me later

You are going to put a lower shelf in it right? adds so much more storage room.....
One can never have enough.
You could always go with a sheet of aluminum, have the front edge broke, no splinters nice neat and clean.

Off white top and shelves eye level and above. Come see my BenchCraft! Nicest table I have ever seen regarding reloading. Plumbed with outlets and breakers on all shelf and bench levels. And an overhead defused light is a must.

You are building a reloading bench. Make it awesome from the start.

You should use a static dissipative laminate on the top for days that are super dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why not just leave it wood? It will get dirty, but it won't be slick. I'll take dirty and secure over clean and slick any day.

White Smoke said:
Why not just leave it wood? It will get dirty, but it won't be slick. I'll take dirty and secure over clean and slick any day.

Wood is not flat. Doing a basic flush primer check can't be done on a generic wood surface. You definitely want a surface that is true and flat when reloading. On top of that, you want a surface that is level. My bench has leveling stems. If you are building a bench it is important to ensure it is 100% level. Also basic cleaning (which is very necessary) can't be done with efficiency on a generic wood surface.

Like I said, if you are starting from scratch and building what you want - make it right from the beginning!

Holy crap!

Tell ya what, make an edge and put sone kind of Formica on it. Take the money you saved and put it towards your daughters education. Its a reloading bench.......lol

sluester said:
Holy crap!

Tell ya what, make an edge and put sone kind of Formica on it. Take the money you saved and put it towards your daughters education. Its a reloading bench.......lol

lol

Ok it's done. I'll put some pads down when I'm tossing car parts on it but for now stain and varnished. Notice the fold away powder drop. Just a experiment with it, hate having the powder drop mounted to the bench. 20140413_173430_zpshgrf89rf.jpg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu