Opening weekend, D14

ke1234567

Jul 24, 2018
Santa Clarita, CA
It was freaking wet! rained hard from Friday at 11 p.m. until Saturday at 4 p.m. A lot of shots going off on Friday, lots of fresh deer signs. Saturday afternoon, saw my first buck. He was with a whole slew of does, about 8. I could not tell if he was legal. Had two single spikes and just couldn't tell if he had a fork. Would have been on my roof rack if he had a fork.

I tried. there were a lot of doe tracks but I saw a few tracks that you could definitely tell were from a buck. This is my first time deer hunting and amazed at the difference between the buck and doe signs. the tracks were all over, so hard to follow one set. but the bucks were out.

If there are a lot of hunters, I try to get high as possible. Then watch them push the deer. Act as a blocker. Good glass helps.
I know Hunting in foul weather is not easy. But deer like it, and move a lot.

Reactions: oscar
I was at 9700+ feet elevation. Other hunters were there, but not as many as down by our camp. there were some peaks that were even higher, but with the downpour, it just wasn't happening. I have Vortex binos which worked perfectly. We were moving a lot so i ditched the spotting scope. With the mountains, draws and canyons, it limited distances a little bit. You weren't glassing beyond 350 yards due to all the ridge lines where we were at and honestly, i probably would not have taken a shot at anything beyond 250-300.

Agreed ke1234567
But the point is. If you see a buck a long distance. Try to put the stalk on it. Easier said than done. I Know.
But good luck the next time out.
Every time out at the woods, is win win.
Good luck and fortune.
LB

Reactions: oscar
I really wanted to. When we first saw the buck, it was already close to 5:30 p.m. Maybe an hour and a half of day light. He was across a canyon. I figured, even if I could get closer, by the time I could line up a shot, it would be dark. We tried the next morning before leaving for home. Didn't spot him again. But yeah, had it been earlier, we would have stalked him. Some guy got a 4x4 up near Lucerne. The guys I was camping with came back Saturday afternoon and told me about it. Big buck. Wow.

More does and one small spike this past weekend. Saw a couple with some 2x2's hanging. Friend missed his shots at TWO bucks at over 350 yards. His rifle was sighted at 200 and he didn't compensate enough for elevation and it was super windy, but when we heard him shooting several shots, we figured all deer in the area were now gone...ha ha. Oh well, had a great time.

I must say, the best thing I did pre-season was work out. Not only did I lose 30 lbs and reverse my diabetes (yes, you read that right), but I was barely breathing hard keeping up with other dudes on the climbs. Amazing

Right on. That was a good day.
I have actually missed in the morning. And killed one in couple of hours. Just let calm down.
But you guys had a good day out in the woods.
Best
LB

Reactions: ke1234567

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu