Otay Wilderness

Danny Sanchez Jr

Nov 29, 2016
Had anyone ever gone scouting here for rabbits and dove? I've seen a road leading to Doghouse Junction. Anyone familiar with this area?

I have hunted down there a lot never been to great for rabbits or dove not that they are not there just not the best. A lot of guys use to hunt dove in hollenbeck canyon just be ready to deal with the equestrians and antis.
Also no matter how many times you tell BP where you are going they will still come
Looking for you.

Never hunted it but a friend had and told me that the field in the other side of the parking lot can be ok he walked along the oak grove. It’s a popular spot for hikers so like others said be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had anyone ever gone scouting here for rabbits and dove? I've seen a road leading to Doghouse Junction. Anyone familiar with this area?
Hi Danny
I think there is a reason most hunters don't go there.
As others posted.
May be look a little further out.
Get a way from people.
I use to hunt Hollenbeck , but people there would go out of their way to get in my way. While hunting.
But there is rabbits there.
But be advised it's shot gun only and
No rifle's allowed. Also it has its own restrictions. Check out the latest rules. One is no lead. The DFG biologist in charge of Hollenbeck
Said a certain Jack Rabbit is off limits.
So check the latest.
Best
Longbow

Years ago there was a good population of rabbits because of multiplie fires and no rain the habitat has suffered alot. Good luck it's a beautiful drive.

Reactions: Danny Sanchez Jr
I read on some other forum that a few good deer came out of around there, only thing is up have to put up with BP around and it's good to tell them that you are around so they won't attack you when the motion sensor cams pick you up. I've always want to try that area during archery season. I don't know about rabbits or upland game.

I read on some other forum that a few good deer came out of around there, only thing is up have to put up with BP around and it's good to tell them that you are around so they won't attack you when the motion sensor cams pick you up. I've always want to try that area during archery season. I don't know about rabbits or upland game.
Even when you tell them they still come after you lol. Very little communication between the different trucks. Glad we have them out there though.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yep been 'attacked' a few times, but they've always been cool. My buddy had the best one though.. he was night hunting and had about 15 agents with ARs roll him and a helicopter landed in the field lol. BP said they tracked em on heat camera and could tell they were armed, but couldn't tell what they were doing. BP didn't even know you could night hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Yep been 'attacked' a few times, but they've always been cool. My buddy had the best one though.. he was night hunting and had about 15 agents with ARs roll him and a helicopter landed in the field lol. BP said they tracked em on heat camera and could tell they were armed, but couldn't tell what they were doing. BP didn't even know you could night hunt.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Had a very similar experience the chopper got me on the thermal next thing I know there were flashing lights everywhere. I will never hunt down there at night again.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Had a very similar experience the chopper got me on the thermal next thing I know there were flashing lights everywhere. I will never hunt down there at night again.

Wow seen the BP on our way to Barrett for duck hunts and they are all over did think you would get sort of swatted by them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it is worthwhile to stop and talk to them. In the IV I got scouted by a green truck and I said "I know what you are hunting. Seen any quail?'

The guy went from scowling to a grin and told me where he saw some.

Sometimes it is worthwhile to stop and talk to them. In the IV I got scouted by a green truck and I said "I know what you are hunting. Seen any quail?'

The guy went from scowling to a grin and told me where he saw some.

a few friends of mine are BP and they like to hunt coyotes, I guess you can say both kinds, lol. They scout all the time, they just won't spill the beans on where the deer are hiding and where the water holes are. These are guys that stay away from hunting forums, I guess lots of peeps don't check hunting forums.

I've heard of a few good archery bucks that went down in D16 put no pictures were shared.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu