Pheasant appetizers, plus a bonus!

Sep 26, 2012
After a competition I participated in last Saturday (see the thread in the dog training section of the forum), I had some pen-raised pheasants to cook. I wanted to try something new, so I asked a chef that works with me what she would do. The first thing she suggested off the top of her head sounded delicious, so I tried it, and it was great!

You will need:
1 pheasant, deboned (don't discard the carcasse!) and cubed
2 lb thinly sliced bacon
Brown sugar
Toothpicks

Preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Cook the bacon, but not until crispy, then set aside. You can do this while deboning/cubing the meat. Put the pheasant meat in a bowl, and drop a generous amount of brown sugar in, and mix it up well, thoroughly coating the meat. Wrap each cube in bacon, and pin with a toothpick or skewer, then place on a cookie sheet. Cook for 12-15 minutes (don't overcook!), then serve. Yummmm!

I didn't get any photos, because this was my first try, and they weren't beautiful- but they sure were tasty!

Oops, forgot the bonus!

Pheasant stock:

1 pheasant carcasse
1 medium onion, cut in half, peels and all
1 large clove of garlic, cut in half, peels and all
2 sticks of celery, leafs and all, rinsed
2 quarts of water

Place all ingredients in a stock pot, cover with the lid slightly askew, and simmer for 12-24 hours, adding water as necessary to maintain at least 1 quart of liquid in the pot. Strain, then place in a storage container for later use. Freezing is a great way to store it.

This stock can be used in a variety of soups, roasts, etc.

well....... it sure sounds good, but i wish u would put up some pics, hopefully next time., OH!, any leftovers? ;)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu