Pig hunting public lands SoCal or central cal

Apr 13, 2014
Hey ladies and gentlemen I am looking for some Spots to hunt publicly for wild pig . I'm hoping to gain so insight or input on where to go or where I would be able to find out . I typically hunt zone A up around ventura county and d-13 know them pretty well . Also looking for a hunting buddy to guide me around and pig areas.. thank you and hope to hear from someone soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I know this a late response. But I am based in Ventura county as well, I don't really "know where the pigs are at" but always down to scout for them if you interested. My buddy and I have been scouting for awhile but since the drought around these areas have set everything up north. But if your interested in joining us PM me your number and we will get in touch and compare notes. Thanks!

- Rich

Hey guys I'm not from Ventura area but I hunt and work that area. I hunt upland untill this year. I wanna get into pig and deer. D13 is supposedly really hard. I believe it since in over 15 years of off roading jeeps and dirt bikes in the area I hve only Seen 1 really nice male mule deer and no pigs. But I am always game to get out scout and meet new people so I'm game if the offer stands to do some scouting trips.

It's probably not all that close to you, but for public land pigs, Fort Hunter Liggett is about as good as it gets. The primitive weapons areas tend to be best, if I'm not mistaken. At least, those are the only areas (besides closed zones!) where I've seen pigs there. You will also see elk, deer, turkeys, bobcats, coyotes, jackrabbits, and more.

Well than you i spend a lot of time in Paso robles are for work so fort hunter Liggett is not that much further. Is it open to the puplic? Do i need to check in any place or anything special to know? I may make a trip that way with the oldest son(15) later inthe year.

i looked it up and it looks great lots of little rules registering paying and registering guns as well but looks great i might put in for the deer draw this year there also. (not that ill get drawn) The fees 150 a year is not really that bad

El Matavenados said:
It's probably not all that close to you, but for public land pigs, Fort Hunter Liggett is about as good as it gets. The primitive weapons areas tend to be best, if I'm not mistaken. At least, those are the only areas (besides closed zones!) where I've seen pigs there. You will also see elk, deer, turkeys, bobcats, coyotes, jackrabbits, and more.
Thanks for posting this El Matavenados. Do you mean "primitive weapons" or "primitive camping" areas?

Sent via Tapatalk

i think what he means is they have area that are archery, muzzle loading and shot gun only. correct me if im wrong

uplandfam said:
i think what he means is they have area that are archery, muzzle loading and shot gun only. correct me if im wrong
That's what I thought, but on their sight they talk specifically about primitive camping sites... I can't find any mention of primitive hunting but they have those areas for archery etc as you mention. Just making sure I understand what El Mat said.

Sent via Tapatalk

Primitive weapons. I haven't hunted there in a handful of years, but they had 3 primitive weapons areas. One was on the North side, I think, and was archery-only. Another, in the South (by Lake San Antonio? or whatever it's called), seems to be the more popular, and I think you can use archery/muzzleloading/shotgun. The third is on the East side of the base, archery/muzzleloading/shotgun. The rules may have changed since I last hunted there though.

One major change since then was the use of copper projectiles from muzzleloading and shotguns (slugs) in condor range. I think that took effect in 2008 or something like that, and although I believe these projectiles can be obtained, I don't believe they are common. Perhaps some of the other guys can tell you more about that.

If you have archery equipment, I would highly recommend that you use it. If you do, shoot me a PM and I'll tell you where I like to hunt there.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu