pig hunts

squidy

Dec 20, 2012
Hey there yall ..I'm trying to do a pig hunt, which one is more better tejon ranch or big horn ranch ?
These are the closest location from where I am, just looking for a good place an good hunt to do
Thank you

I have never been to Tejon so cant say anything about it. I have been to BHCR.
If you have never killed an animal before it will work to get you started. Its a small area and would consider most of the animals there to be farm animals.
If your looking for a good wild pig hunt with a guide I recommend GSGS.

http://www.giantsequoiaguideservice.com/

Tejon all the way for a non guided hunt, lots of hiking lots of glassing

Tejon over BHCR

Tejon does a fully guided pig hunt with food & lodging for 1100 I think.......semi guided requires 6 hunters 550 each for 2 days food & lodging included they point you in the right direction and give newbies a lot more help 1-2 guides per hunt. But to hunt Tejon you do need to know the ranch to score on your own......most of the time.....ask for Steven as your guide if you book at Tejon great guy who grew up on the ranch......and he has one of my dogs Harley is her name.

Hunting farm animals is like kissing your sister. Tejon or GSGS are much better regardless of your level of experience.

COOOOL, thanks guys...i think i will look forward to tejon ranch.
How does it work and the pricing for a pig just one day...me and my uncle is trying to shoot one

2k plus tip for both of you with lodging & food

If you want one day go with Neil. Half the price fully guided no food or lodging......I haven't hunted with Neil but many have and he also has a pup of mine. Good guy!

Don't forget it may take more than one day for both of you to tag out......it's real hunting

Bonejour said:
Hunting farm animals is like kissing your sister. Tejon or GSGS are much better regardless of your level of experience.

I don't even want to ask! :eek:

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and looking for a good guided hog hunt to take my 15 year old son on. We live in San Diego and would prefer something relatively close, but I don't want to hunt farm animals, either. I want my son to have a good first hunting experience with a good probability of getting a kill. We'd also like to have some good eating pork as a memory. :)

GSGS certainly looks like the real deal; are there any other options folks would recommend?

Thanks. I'll definitely contact him. Is there a season for pig hunting or is it year-round? Where I grew up, practically every type of hunting was bounded by a season, but when I looked on the CDFW website, it does not show a season for pigs. Also, is there a better time of year to hunt for them? Summer is what would work best for us, but fall would be fine, too.

newpower said:
Thanks. I'll definitely contact him. Is there a season for pig hunting or is it year-round? Where I grew up, practically every type of hunting was bounded by a season, but when I looked on the CDFW website, it does not show a season for pigs. Also, is there a better time of year to hunt for them? Summer is what would work best for us, but fall would be fine, too.

Pigs can be hunted 365 days a year in Cal.

Does time of year matter for a pig hunt, mainly from a meat quality perspective? I assume, given that most pigs seem to be in the very temperate parts of CA, that activity levels are fairly constant throughout the year?

Taste comes down too what they eat and gender.......
Sows......haven't had a bad one yet......Boars I've had one or two good ones out of about 60+ boars.......now a boar with no testicles now your talking he will be better than almost any sow.

As for food grain finished is the best wild oats is the most common for a lot of wild pigs barely is another. Acorns are good BUT if you can find fermented acorns that will be some of the riches meat you'll ever eat.

So castrate a few boars give them a few years then feed them fermented acorns the last 3 months of life.........then invite me and everyone else to the feast! On the island they do this but its fruit & nuts

As for time of year I like spring they tend to be in the thick stuff with all the food and water.........summer is good hunt water and at very first light and early afternoon on or near water boars seem to breed more or are just out more........fall I don't recommend fall is for offshore fishing, deer, elk & bird hunting at least for me so I don't really know. Winter is good if we get snow/rain/cold weather, they are out looking for food and water just like the rest of the animals

It really comes down to hunting pressure pigs can go 10+ miles per day for food and water when they get pressured......otherwise they tend to move 3-4 miles if not pressured too much.

MJB said:
Taste comes down too what they eat and gender.......
Sows......haven't had a bad one yet......Boars I've had one or two good ones out of about 60+ boars.......now a boar with no testicles now your talking he will be better than almost any sow.

As for food grain finished is the best wild oats is the most common for a lot of wild pigs barely is another. Acorns are good BUT if you can find fermented acorns that will be some of the riches meat you'll ever eat.

So castrate a few boars give them a few years then feed them fermented acorns the last 3 months of life.........then invite me and everyone else to the feast! On the island they do this but its fruit & nuts

As for time of year I like spring they tend to be in the thick stuff with all the food and water.........summer is good hunt water and at very first light and early afternoon on or near water boars seem to breed more or are just out more........fall I don't recommend fall is for offshore fishing, deer, elk & bird hunting at least for me so I don't really know. Winter is good if we get snow/rain/cold weather, they are out looking for food and water just like the rest of the animals

It really comes down to hunting pressure pigs can go 10+ miles per day for food and water when they get pressured......otherwise they tend to move 3-4 miles if not pressured too much.

Great advice--thanks! I'll start hoarding my acorns now! :)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu