Pigs in Lost Hills?

amack26

Feb 29, 2016
Orange County
Hey everyone! I'm new to SCH and have tried my luck at public land pig east of san diego. As most of you know and I have learned pig hunting public land in southern california is a far fetched idea. With a scouting trip planned for a few weeks I am wondering if anyone has experience on the blm land up there? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Mostly private around lost hills. Usually only pigs there during the summer to feed on the orchards, then move to private ranches up in the hills. I'd say you have about a .1% chance of finding pigs on public land out there..
I worked in lost hills for 3 months and saw 1 pig on private. Best bet would be to try and talk to the owners of the orchards south of town, they might let you on but most likely they won't... Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amack26 said:
any recommendations on place to go for public land pigs?

No, public land pig spots are very hard to find, a lot harder then deer spots. So I have my honey holes that i can't tell anyone about... But I can recommend you book a hunt with giant sequoia, it will save you a bunch of money, and time. If you are set on killing a public land pig I would hold out till next fall when the ground is soft and tracks are easy to see. Also be prepared to spend many days, weeks, months, or maybe years before even seeing a hog on public...

Have to agree with Tafthunter for the most part. Although, if you are lucky and have a week, I do have a suggestion. And that is with the caveat that if you aren't an experienced woodsman you don't try this by yourself.

If you leave the trail south of Big Sur and climb up into the back country, you are entering into the original land where Russian Boars were let loose over a 100 years ago. Those hogs are wild with a mean streak. I have seen the remains of a Forestry Service pack horse gutted in a creek up there. Be aware at all times of where there are rocks to climb to get away from them.

That is a head start past thinking you are going to find hogs in Sandy Eggo.

Thanks for the insight tony! Ill have to head back there and give it a look. Taft, i have heard they run one hell of an outfit up there I'll have to check em out

amack26 said:
Thanks for the insight tony! Ill have to head back there and give it a look. Taft, i have heard they run one hell of an outfit up there I'll have to check em out

Me too, I'm not to into guided hunting but I really want a pig with my bow. I might book a hunt next year with them.

By the way I wasn't trying to be discouraging for the public pigs, it's just really tough and don't want to see you wasting time and money...

TaftHunter said:
amack26 said:

Me too, I'm not to into guided hunting but I really want a pig with my bow. I might book a hunt next year with them.

By the way I wasn't trying to be discouraging for the public pigs, it's just really tough and don't want to see you wasting time and money...

Its totally understandable. Hunting is hard enough without a tight budget, with one its hard to be successful on public land. I totally understand and appreciate it

Drive another two hour west and hunt the two military base . and if your an active duty or retired. you can add vandiland .

Awesome I'll do some research and figure it out. Do you have to be active duty or ex-military for camp roberts or fort Hunter Liggett

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu