PLANNING ON BUYING A .223/5.56 OR A .243

I made the mistake of asking to see a Marlin 1894 SBL in .44 Mag behind the counter at Turners. It was soo much lighter than my Marlin 336 BL, and slimmer! I fell in love thinking about how much easier the hike-in would be without that extra weight!

But...Sigh... I'm getting the house painted and figured while they were at it I'd replace the 1959 windows which "leak in" cold air in the Winter. So that ain't happening unless I sell some stuff. And I gotta get my moto's carb cleaned since it appears the primery jet must have got gummed up from sitting that year I shattered my wrist and then we had that unusually long cold spell. She'll start up if I put the choke on, but the second you try to hit the throttle she dies, or if you take her off choke she dies. And it's a Honda Pacific Coast 800, so it's about as low maintenance as you can possibly get. But there is soo much to take off to get at the carbs, Ugh! I figure if I sell that... and the little XR50 I had gotten for the boy when he was younger that he didn't really get into like I hoped... that I should be able to score that SBL, and then some kinda big-bore hunting revolver.

Reactions: Dawnandusk
Im considering selling my 223 it’s a savage model 10 in sage county Camo big bolt handle, bull barrel. If your interested and still looking send me a message.

Im considering selling my 223 it’s a savage model 10 in sage county Camo big bolt handle, bull barrel. If your interested and still looking send me a message.

Thank you but I have decided to buy a .243. I think, based on all the advice received, that it will better serve me based also on the reasons I am buying it.
For what I read, your rifle is a nice piece of equipment.

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu