Pocket Knife

SoCalCuda

Oct 2, 2018
Looking for a new knife guys. Because many will see this post, tell us what kind and what you like about it. I’ve had many throw away S&W knives because I’m hard on them and they’ve worked. Maybe I need a good Buck, Gerber or SOG. I’ve seen a lot of home made demascus bladed knives lately. With your review, maybe I can do a knife review on it for other to see on my blog.

Thanks.....

I have several Kershaw spring assist knives. They are not the fancy $300 knives but work great for $70-$125 range. I like my Ken Onion ones the most. Just make sure to get the USA made Kershaw's. Theres a big difference in them.

Without a doubt this is my go to carry knife. Real world every day all I need. I don't need a giant knife and these things are great.

Last edited:
Looking for a new knife guys. Because many will see this post, tell us what kind and what you like about it. I’ve had many throw away S&W knives because I’m hard on them and they’ve worked. Maybe I need a good Buck, Gerber or SOG. I’ve seen a lot of home made demascus bladed knives lately. With your review, maybe I can do a knife review on it for other to see on my blog.

Thanks.....
@SoCalCuda I’ve gone through a few knifes as well, but found a few worth mentioning. My EDC knife has changed as my position at work changed. Started with a Leatherman Wave multi tool, then Kershaw Select Fire and now I'm dead set on the Havalon Titan!

Reactions: HortoTheSlayer
I’ve carried a pocket since my dad gave me one when I was 9 years old. Never been without one since then. The thing about folding pocket knives is that they are easy to lose. I’ve lost many over my life time. I have some very fine and expensive knives but my pocket knives are not among those. A pocket knife is generally a casual use knife, a when you need it knife To cut something. You may not use it every day or even every week. It’s not an everyday working knife. I generally carry a Buck or the less expensive Schrade brand. I even have a Schrade Old Timer knife which money wise is a cheap knife but is actually a darn good little knife. Mine is 20 years old and has served me well. Case is also a good but inexpensive brand. They work great, are good quality, are fairly rugged, and hold an edge. If you accidentally lose it it’s not an Oh $hit I lost a $200 knife moment.
If your pocket knife is a working knife for work and every day use then I suggest getting a high quality folding or fixed blade that is carried in a belt sheath . But if you just want a pocket knife to carry go with a Buck, a Schrade, a Schrade Old Timer or something similar.
So OP tell us what exactly you will use the knife for, what you want it for, what type of knife ie. folding knife, fixed blade, spring blade, 2 inch blade, 6 inch blade, Bowie style and so on and you’ll get better and more specific advice.

Last edited:
Reactions: wyorob
Couldn't agree more with the Benchmade Griptilian for an everyday carry. We get them issued to us in the military and I've had mine through 6 combat deployments. It's simple, holds and edge, and is just the right size. It just does what you need, when you need it to, and if you lose it isn't a huge burden on the wallet to replace. If you want a badass custom fix bald, checkout Half Face Blades or Bad Omen Knives.

I've grown into being a knife hoarder of sorts... I've owned Cold Steel, Boker, Buck, Benchmade, etc. I've recently (last couple of years) been collecting Kershaw speedsafe knives. Big5 will have em on their "one day" email sales flyers from time to time, for about $24 bucks. Some of em sell for $40 or so on Amazon, so they can be a good deal. The Kershaw Link and Ferrite are 2 of my faves. Easy to open and close one handed, hold a decent edge, fit the hand well, and for around $30 they won't break the bank. They make some plastic handled ones that are a bit lighter in the pocket if that's your thing. If you feel like dropping some change on a nice one that'll last you as long as you don't lose it.. the custom shop at Benchmade is sweet. Custom design a griptilian which some people point out on here are very cool knives. I have a Barrage myself.

Reactions: WaterDog
Hmm I like it so far. I’m going to check out the big5 adds, I get them it seems daily. But I’m going to look bigger as well.

I carry a Victorinox 'Officer Svisse' as my day to day sidekick. It was a gift from my daughter 25 or so years ago. it was green camo which has since worn off to black and I still have the tweezers and toothpick. I have looked at others but this seems to fit what I need in a pocketknife.

I carry a Victorinox 'Officer Svisse' as my day to day sidekick. It was a gift from my daughter 25 or so years ago. it was green camo which has since worn off to black and I still have the tweezers and toothpick. I have looked at others but this seems to fit what I need in a pocketknife.
I actually still have my Victorinox knife from when i was a kid. My only hesitation is it like of a locking blade. They still have nice knives though.

Reactions: WaterDog
I actually still have my Victorinox knife from when i was a kid. My only hesitation is it like of a locking blade. They still have nice knives though.
I have mine also, used it to earn my whittling badge in Cub Scout's, still
have the scars go with it. Reminds me why I only use locking blades now....

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu