Polska Kielbasa

sdolan617

May 30, 2018
South OC
Finally bit the bullet and invested in a decent meat grinder and sausage stuffer. Decided to give them both a test run with a 5lb batch of Polska Kielbasa using this year's UT antelope (mixed with some pork). Results well exceeded my expectations. Loosely followed a hybrid of Hank Shaw's recipe and Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages aka 'The Sausage Bible'. Stuffed using natural hog casings, 3 hrs of smoke, and then brought up to final temp via water bath.

IMG_5804.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5779.jpg
    IMG_5779.jpg
    281.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5753.jpg
    IMG_5753.jpg
    274.5 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5745.jpg
    IMG_5745.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5636 (1).jpg
    IMG_5636 (1).jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 19
You brought it up to final temp via water bath??
As in a sous vide? What was final temp and how did you cool it?

It looks great btw.

You brought it up to final temp via water bath??
As in a sous vide? What was final temp and how did you cool it?

It looks great btw.
Yes, sous vide... my electric smoker swings pretty wildly and didn’t want to risk liquefying the fat and ending up with crumbly end product, smoked till about 120-130 internal or ~3-4 hrs then into the water bath to a final temp of 154 which is consensus for food safety, then into an ice bath for 20-30 mins and air dried in the fridge over night... nice thing about the water bath is it saves quite a bit of time getting it up to final temp, doesn’t negatively impact end product either

Reactions: duck-boy
So no water intrusion into the meat?
What type of casing are you using?

I usually poke some needle holes in my snack sticks so I don't get any accumulation of fat pockets. I do mine all on the smoker. Never tried the water bath to cook or cool cause of the needle holes. Afraid of water intrusion.

I was a little skeptical too but no water intrusion. My instincts really wanted to toss them in a vacuum seal bag but in researching through the sausage/smoked meat meets forums a lot of guys seemed to swear by this method. It really doesn't seem to effect final product.

When I was done the water had a faint yellow tint from the smoke but no liquified fat or floaties. I used natural hog casings. I also pricked with sausage needle as I normally would initially to get rid of air pockets before air drying. I think it works because the sausages are densely-stuffed and mostly set at that point after coming off smoker at 130 IT. Also the water is relatively still and only 155-165 degrees as opposed to a rolling boil.

This was the thread that initially got me down that rabbit hole.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu