Pork Back Fat

Yeah the fat will start to render if not cold. I put fat chunks and meat chunks in the freezer for a while before starting. I also take the grinder tube, plates and cutting blade and put them in an ice bath between passes through the grinder.

Reactions: TRICER and JakeSCH
Yeah the fat will start to render if not cold. I put fat chunks and meat chunks in the freezer for a while before starting. I also take the grinder tube, plates and cutting blade and put them in an ice bath between passes through the grinder.

yeah, pretty sure that started happening for me. I freeze the meat / fat ahead of time as well but didn’t do it as long as I typically do. First (course) grind was as usual but I think adding the ice water to the mixture and using a food mixer started thawing the fat sooner than usual. I even tossed the tub and grinder parts back in the freezer for 20 minutes after first grind.

second grind took much longer than normal, I think the watery meat would create a vacuums and not go into the auger well. Creating heat over longer periods of time

That fat made cleanup more cumbersome as well.

I bet if I let the mixture sit over night in the fridge, the water would have evaporated and produced a different “product”.

Reactions: GUNDOGLOVER49
yeah, pretty sure that started happening for me. I freeze the meat / fat ahead of time as well but didn’t do it as long as I typically do. First (course) grind was as usual but I think adding the ice water to the mixture and using a food mixer started thawing the fat sooner than usual. I even tossed the tub and grinder parts back in the freezer for 20 minutes after first grind.

second grind took much longer than normal, I think the watery meat would create a vacuums and not go into the auger well. Creating heat over longer periods of time

That fat made cleanup more cumbersome as well.

I bet if I let the mixture sit over night in the fridge, the water would have evaporated and produced a different “product”.
Yeah my cousin and her husband are both chefs and the first year I made sausage they told me to add some water as well but I have not continued to do that. I think running it through the grinder twice has a similar effect.

I always do a coarse grind and a fine grind. It just makes for a more consistent texture. But I think a third pass can make it too mushy.

For regular ground, not sausage, do you always double grind? Or do you just pass it once through, either coarse or fine?

It is all preference, but if you normal buy ground beef or turkey from the store a double grind, course then fine produces the most similar results (as long as you don't screw it up like i did!)

I made another 25 lb of ground today, freezing the cubed meat / fat for 3 hours before I ground it and did not add water after the course ground...it was a night and day difference. I also used my sausage stuffer to fill bags of meat, I really like this result.

763B6055-5FE1-4639-A511-AA0765635208.jpeg

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu