probably a noob question

GDCruz

Mar 2, 2013
So ive been searching the forums a bit and have a couple of questions.
1. what type of topo map can i get that shows private property and public land where hunting is allowed?
2. If i go scouting an area is it alright to buy a tag for whatevers in season and take my rifle just in case i come across lets say a hog?

The NF maps are good but they are not topo. BLM's are topo.
Yes if you have a hunting license and say a (pig tag) you can carry your rifle while scouting.
DON'T wander onto private property with a gun. They don't take it lightly around here.

To answer the first question, I'm not sure what kind of phone you have but I have a droid and I was able to get a app called Backcountry Navigator Pro. It has topo, private property, national forest, state parks, and maybe more but it's worked well for me. The private property feature was something I had to buy as an extra layer but total price I think it was around 20$. Its worth it to me because I don't own a gps yet and this app will tell you wether your legal or not(if you have service). If you dont have service you can download a section of the map and save it for when your out in the hills.

If you have an iPhone you can get the cableas recon hunt, it gives you everything you need for like $14.99. Pretty sweet app.

If you are archery hunting deer, you can not have a rifle with you at all.

ok awesome thanks guys! I'll definitely look into the phone apps plus the regular maps for backup.

TaftHunter said:
If you have an iPhone you can get the cableas recon hunt, it gives you everything you need for like $14.99. Pretty sweet app.

If you are archery hunting deer, you can not have a rifle with you at all.

I have it it's cool

Get the cabelas app beware though it drains batery fast one time i opened the app and i had 100% Charge left the app on for about 2 hours without using my phone and it was dead

the backcountry pro app is pretty cool plus the cabelas recon hunt ill have to compare them a bit more before i pick one.

What happens when there is no cell service, the apps are useless. I'd be familiar with private vs. public property without relying on something that may not work. A physical map and understanding how to use it is most reliable IMO.

On a backpack hunt a couple years ago, my buddies GPS couldn't get a signal, probably because of the dense tree canopy. What did we end up doing........pulled out a topo map to find out where we were. That was out in the middle of nowhere though and it was all public land.

The Cabelas app is not driven by cell service. It uses the GPS constellation. And yes sometimes GPS signals can weaken, but the map can still be loaded and the compass on the app still works. You just won't be able to navigate by GPS. Battery failure is more likely to be a challenge if any failure occurs.

Having a paper topo map is always a good idea anyway.

i would use the app at first but would never rely on it. Ive been backpacking with my dad since i was little so i know how to use a map and compass to figure out where I'm at. Plus i think my dad would skin me if i ever went out without a real physical map haha.

http://www.amazon.com/Powered-Battery-Charger-Portable-Devices/dp/B00449U3K0

Here is a cool item that could help with battery issue.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu