Problem Neighbors/Need Advice

SoCalRebelHunter

Sworn to hunt, Loyal to none
Jan 22, 2012
East El Cajon
Alright fellas, so here's my dilemma. I've got some really terrible neighbors. I'm certain they're up to no good, but am at a loss at to which avenue to go down to handle the situation because I live on a really quiet street. Here are the facts;

1. They frequently LOCK their three kids outside, ages seven, six, and two. When this occurs, they typically leave the seven year-old in charge of the toddler. I wouldn't usually complain, but they're outside for hours on end and on more than two occasions, I've heard them crying to be let in the house. I live in a rural area, and boy do we have rattlers out here. I'm concerned that with summer approaching and without adequate supervision, something COULD happen to any one of them.

2. They have random and frequent visitors, mostly whom stay for less than 10 minutes and are gone. Sure, everyone has friends pop in but who has "friends" show up during the school week, at 930 at night, stay less than 10 minutes, and then repeat the process a few days later? It's really suspicious. I haven't smelled any strange smells (i.e; chemicals) so I don't know if they're cooking dope, but the frequency and randomness of their visits would sure lead to believe that they are dealing, something.

3. They've illegally cut down oak trees to sell as firewood from a county nature preserve that surrounds my area. Another concerned neighbor has called the county about the issue, and they referred onto DFG, and in-turn DFG has deferred onto the county.

4. They had a surveillance camera mounted on their roof, pointed down the street, (I assume) to get advanced warning of who was coming up the road.

5. They drive-like bats outta hell. My road is one-lane, blind cornered, and steep in places. Not a road to be speeding on. Aside from their own kids playing in the road, my other neighbors walk their dogs and their kids down the same road. Someone is bound to get hurt.

I'm just at a loss for what to do. There are only three houses on the end of my road;mine, the scumbags and my other cool neighbors (whom are already involved in some litigation with them) so if I report them to someone, they'll surely figure out who it was. And while they may not do any damage to my property themselves, I'm sure the scum they associate with will.

Ideas? Suggestions? I'm not sure if they're breaking any particular laws, but something's going on and the kids are definitely the ones who are at the most risk.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Tough one for you. First thing is to build a file on them, document everything that is going on everything you witness. If anything ever goes down that will at least show really bad character on them. And you should do what you can to protect the kids. Really suck for you and the kids.Im not sure how I would handle it either.

If you feel that they are neglecting their children, call CPS immediately! It is confidential and hopefully they will come to do a welfare check on the children.

Put up a game camera on your house, then call CPS the next time the kids are locked out.

Totally agree with the above comments, CPS is the least invasive and most productive way to go. They are obligated to respond as well as not give up their sources. Given that they know your concerns with what you have been witness to they will have their radar on and look for and respond to signs of illegal acts and behavior.

Game cam around your place is a great idea. If you smell something call the fire dept. I know sounds crazy but this could be a great way to take them down cause the fire dept will have to roll out when you call. If the cops are needed they can get them there fast! Also when they call CPS they look like the bad guys not you and they are going to walk around everyones house trying to find the smell!

CPS will most likely defer to the Sherif's Dept. to conduct a welfare check, or they will bring a Dep. with them. County code enforcement is a weak agency, I have plenty of experience with them, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease with them....stay on them to get action.

If you can document license plates, times/ frequency of their visitors, it would assist any investigator in determining what kind of visitors they are actually getting. Also, are they renters? Section 8? Do they work?

Next time the kids are screaming to be let in, call the Sheriff's Dept. to do a welfare check. The incident will be cross reported to CPS if it rises to that level.

All assuming based on your profile that you in unincorporated area.

Good ideas guys. We've talked about the CPS thing before and have mentioned it to our other neighbors who live across the street from the scum. Everyone's a little nervous to do anything because the owner of the scum house doesn't work. He's home all day, everyday and has his transient friends in and out. So, with the rest of us working regular jobs, it leaves everyone's houses vulnerable.

I haven't been noticing the kids in the street playing as much lately, so I obviously can't comment on the current conditions of what's happening over there. But I'll keep my eyes and ears open for the future and be sure CPS is contacted should something new arise.

what part of the county are you in?
One of my sons is a cop.
Might be able to help out.

Jim

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu