questions about bugs on deer mounts

fishingkid

Feb 29, 2012
I have all my deer skull caps in my garage i noticed some with hair beginning to fall off and 1 velvet buck all the velvet looked like it was turning to dust. Today while digging through hunting gear I take a closer look at what's turning into a mess of hair and dust and see bunch of dead bugs inside the dust and hair on the ground and couple things moving on the deer heads. Any idea what this is or how to kill the bugs or prevent any further damage? I do not have any shoulder mounts it's all just skull caps with horns most still have hair. But I'm wondering if there going to start eating the European mounts or what this bug is?

that's what bugs, mice and rats do, it must be preserved properly. and I am not not expert at this so I can not tell you but I can suggest. that do your home work online and research this thoroughly some of what I remember is use glycerine, and combination of other stuff with it. but read on it.

Some of the heads had been in my office for 12 years or longer with no problems at all. 2 years ago I moved into a brand new home with a 2 story garage up stairs is completely finished like a bedroom minus the AC at first I thought possibly the high summer temps had something to do with it but today noticed all the bugs dead on the ground and several alive on them.

put moth balls on them. I put moth balls on my mounts where you cant see them and it keeps the bugs off of them. Also for preserving velvet, rub Borax all over your antlers and then brush it off once they hade dried. I have only done this with fresh velvet antlers though. They show zero signs of aging or anything and are about 20 years old

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu