Remington 700 scope mount

Jefflesh

Oct 16, 2013
Hello everyone,

Picked up a Remington 700 SPS 300 win mag last week. The store didn't have either the weaver single mount or the weaver front and rear mounts in stock so they ended up selling me some Leupold scope mounts. After installing the Leupold mounts I don't think I really care for them. The rear mount attaches to the scope ring using the mounts windage screws, I can imagine that these can be slightly off causing the scope to off as well.

As a result, I would like to order some weaver mounts and I'm leaning towards the single-piece mount as opposed to the separate front and rear mounts. The only concern I have would be loading the rifle, will the mount get in the way of loading ammunition? Anyone using this setup? If so, can you list your likes or dislikes?

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

Have you looked at the SK mounting system. It looks and functions awesome on the Rem 700 action. If you are local, come to Fine Firearms in La Mesa and I will show you a demo rifle with the SK system. One of the lightest, most elegant and strongest mounting systems made (made in USA).

Thanks NBK, I'm about an hour and 20 minutes away from La Mesa. I'll check out the mounts online though.

Any thoughts on muzzle brakes? Clamp on or threaded? I hear they are good to have on win mags.

Jeff

Not a big fan of muzzle breaks. Specifically if my hunting partner has one. LOUD

Muzzle breaks may not be for everybody but I love mine. Not only did it reduce the felt recoil significantly but it made a huge difference in muzzle jump. I can keep on target and see the bullet make contact. That keeps my eyes on the target (animal) so that when it hits the ground I know.
Before I had the break installed there was so much recoil and muzzle jump I had no idea where the animal was after the shot. I would shoot and wonder if I hit the animal and then go looking for it.

Muzzle brakes work but like NBK said they are hard on everyone around the shooter I watched LP and Skinny hunter get on some elk last year and when they fired together (laying next to each other) Skinny was in quite a state of aural pain grabbing both ears and exclaiming how painful it was ( I warned him before they shot). Take earplugs if you are hunting with muzzlebraked guns.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu