Roasted turkey, grouse, and quail

Sep 26, 2012
On my Thanksgiving trip to Wyoming, I shot a turkey and some grouse, and I had some quail that I shot here locally a few weeks ago. This past saturday, I prepared and enjoyed them with friends. It was fantastic!

I sprinkled the grouse inside and out with kosher salt, and fresh-ground peppercorn, and some fresh minced garlic. I did the same with the quail breasts, then stuffed them inside the grouse, along with some onions and sprigs of fresh rosemary. Then, I stuffed the grouse/quail inside the turkey, along with more onions and rosemary. Because the turkey was skinned, I layered bacon strips over the breast to keep it from drying out, and I surrounded it with small red potatoes (quartered or halved), onions, carrots, garlic, rosemary (can you tell I like rosemary????), and sprinkled it all with more kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. I baked it in a roasting pan at 300 degrees for about 3.5 hours the night before, then for another hour or so to finish it off just before serving. I intended to add a couple Granny Smith apples for that last hour of cooking, but it didn't work out (too busy with other tasks), but I really enjoy that with this recipe (I've made it with pheasants, quail, and chicken before, but not all stuffed inside each other- that's new!). The issue I had in the past was that I put the apples in at the beginning, and they were mush (albeit yummy mush) by the time it finished cooking.

Anyway, it all turned out great, and we really enjoyed it.

photo.jpg

Sorry for the cell phone pic, but it actually turned out better than the camera pic in the light of the dining room.

We also enjoyed some fantastic whitetail and mule deer tenderloins (actually, it was a taste test to see if there was an appreciable difference), cut into medallions and grilled. Just like an excellent cut of beef, and oh, so good! No pictures though.

And finally, we sampled the smoked salami and smoked Polish sausage prepared for us by Jim at Country Smokehouse in Lakeside. You can't even tell that it's made of venison! Excellent. No pictures. :)

I am drooling after reading your descriptive culinary piece. Thanks for the details Don. This may sound funny but the food section of this website is one of my favorites. I wish more people would post!

Looks awesome but I have to admit I chuckled when you said, "you can't even tell its venison"! I was just curious if that is what you were hoping for?

Breacher said:
Looks awesome but I have to admit I chuckled when you said, "you can't even tell its venison"! I was just curious if that is what you were hoping for?

YES!!!! Deer, dove, goose and duck taste like liver to me. I don't like liver. You might disagree, but I'm not the only one that thinks so. I think others might be calling it a "gamey" taste. I call it liver. Over the years, I've found some ways to make it palatable:
1. Jerky
2. Pan-fried, with a coating of flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, etc. This isn't a sure thing, though.
3. Chili- I've only made one batch of deer chili that I didn't like. I've had people who don't like deer AT ALL say they like the chili.
4. Gumbo- everything tastes like beef when you cook it for 12-24 hours and make it into gumbo. Even gizzards and hearts, which I previously trashed without exception.
5. Jambalaya.
6. I've discovered the joys of deer sausage, and I'm exploring this more deeply. I'll probably experiment with ducks, geese, and coots in sausage. Yes, coots. And spoonys. Jim at Country Smokehouse whipped up some Salami, Polish Smoked Sausage (already tried these- both excellent, very similar in flavor), italian, cajun, and apple sausage for me. I can't wait to try them all.
7. Ground venison- this can be hit or miss, as well, but a recent batch of spaghetti made with ground deer meat was good enough for my brother to help himself to seconds yesterday.
8. One friend's wife made dove tacos, and another friends GF made deer tacos- both were very good (don't have the recipes though).

I'm expanding this list, so if you have a recipe that can make the aforementioned creatures taste like beef, I welcome your recipes!

josec said:
looks delicious! any leftovers? ;)

Yep. I picked the meat off the bones last night. Made a big pot of turkey soup (yummy), and made stock from the carcasses. Started with 4 quarts of water, ended with just under 1 quart of stock! Rich and smooth, baby.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu