San Diego and Glassing

John_Gilmore

Feb 26, 2013
Hey guys, going to be attempting archery deer for the first time and gonna try to stay local in San Diego. How much are you guys just putting miles on boots vs. glassing in SD? What have you found most effective?

You do as much of each until you are finding sign and seeing game. Not finding anything? Hike and glass a different area. Repeat until you find what you are searching for....

Gotcha, thanks for the quick replies. I just have to re-learn to hunt another part and all the land. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me lately and in advance for going forward ha.

Deviating from my original post a bit... I'm getting Vortex Viper HD 10x42s this week... I have no tripod or tripod adapter since I have not glassed much previously. Any suggestions for either a tripod or tripod adapter? Looking to spend under $200 but can step up that budget if the benefits far outweigh tripods in the <$200 range. Thanks guys.

John_Gilmore said:
Deviating from my original post a bit... I'm getting Vortex Viper HD 10x42s this week... I have no tripod or tripod adapter since I have not glassed much previously. Any suggestions for either a tripod or tripod adapter? Looking to spend under $200 but can step up that budget if the benefits far outweigh tripods in the <$200 range. Thanks guys.

I use the SLIK tri-pods. They have some very light weight ones and they are a quality product for the price.

http://www.slik.co.jp/slik_com/

Then add one of these and you are good to go:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-tripod-adapter-400.html?gclid=CIfur_f6gbcCFQ_ZQgodHU4AXQ&ef_id=UYficQAAANH9Lowc:20130506170345:s

Get a pair of leupold rouge binos instead their $100 not much for quality optics ive seen them outperform binos that are 10 times that plus youll have extra money for a quality tripod also you wont cringe much when you damage them

D16hunter said:
Get a pair of leupold rouge binos instead their $100 not much for quality optics ive seen them outperform binos that are 10 times that plus youll have extra money for a quality tripod also you wont cringe much when you damage them
you ever seen the vipers which he say he is getting???.......in my opinion they blow the rogues out of the water. Vortex makes some real nice glass

Vortex is good stuff but make sure you by the glass made in Japan. there other stuff is not so great.

With that said, you might want to come down to Fine Firearms and look at the $399 Leupolds we have on closeout. Once you look through them you will think twice about the vipers

D16hunter said:

I'm not happy with my rouge they do the job but I have a problem with cliffs and falling down them and they don't handle it like I expect my gear to also I want higher Magnification

Buy what your budget allows (spend as much as you can there are no bargains when it comes to glass), a tripod will make a huge difference in your ability to spot stationary animals especially when they are partially obscured or in a shaded area

The Vipers are great. Ive had a pair of 10X42 for a bit and love them. I compared them to a pair of $2500 Leicas and could not tell much difference.

I appreciate all the input guys. Thanks a ton. My buddy is getting rid of his Vipers and I'm getting a deal on them used with no scratches because he's upgrading so I'm going to grab those even if I do get a cheaper pair to bang around.

Thanks again guys, this whole site has been very helpful.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu