Santa margarita gun club is back

some of the shoots they do are more suited to hunting type rifles. The PRS shoots allow brakes and you do not need a heavy barrel to play. The F Class long range shoots are a bit more equipment specific. No brakes and the rate of fire heats up thin barrels

So today was interesting! Wind was evil and shot poor to start but settled down at the end. The good news i didn't have any missed shots for record. Todays match was prone for 60 rounds.
This is the target you have to hit at 1k yards. A purfect score is 200 20x that means you hit all 20 in a string in the 10ring and all 20 in the x. The x is 5 inches. 20190504_134752.jpg

This is where the bs stops, you can say all day my gun is a. 25moa rig but there is nowhere to hide when you jerk one and you hear 7 or a dreaded 5.
20190504_132411.jpg

So i shot bad at first, i was over thinking it and not making corrections. Picked it up a bit by the last string.

The wind was wicked today and i don't think anyone had a clean run.

Here are my numbers.....
20190504_132604.jpg

Last edited:
Good shooting Bill. 191 seems like a pretty “clean run” in my book. How many shooters were there, were most guys running 6.5, and of course what place did you end up with.

Every match is different this one was unlimited sighters,

First one gets wasted to clear the oil and foul the barrel. After that you do as few as possible just to keep heat down.

Wide range of cartridges, ftr class 223 and 308. F open is dominated by 284win and wild cats based off that. Before the 7mm stuff got hot the 6.5x284 was king.

191 was a ok score in the wind, 175 just blew balls. Won't know who won till they post scores. Even the good shooters were bitching about conditions. Mirage was so bad everyone had to dial back to 15x power. The way the canyon sits at times you had full value right to left at the target and reverse at the line. My last string had over 20" of correction made as the wind shifted over and over. My first strings i was not trusting my gun and you can see me holding the same spot and missing to the same spot. Then as the wind would changed and score going down. As i held the same spot.

Its a learning curve and i shot much better once i used my penut brain and trusted my equipment.

That sounds like so much fun, I would like to do some competition shooting!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu