Sheep pictures.........to pass the time.

breacher

Sep 4, 2012
Alpine, CA
A couple years ago, my bro in law and I were hunting off the I-8 in the hight desert. As we were heading back to the truck, we walking through a wash. All of a sudden we heard rocks crashing and sliding ahead of us.

We looked up and saw about 8-10 sheep running down the hill, across the wash then up the other side. They stopped at about 50 yards and were pretty relaxed. Eventually they walked off into the rocks but not before I snapped a few pictures. They blend in pretty well don't they!?

This is the second time I have seen them in this area. The other time, a couple of ewes and small ram were trying to cross the freeway in the same area. I guess thats why there is now a sign on the way down the hill, warning motorists of sheep in the area....

Attachments

• sd 1.jpg
    sd 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 177
  • sd 2.jpg
    sd 2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 174
  • sd 3.jpg
    sd 3.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 178
  • sd 4.jpg
    sd 4.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 179
  • sd 6.jpg
    sd 6.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 176
beautuful area! ive seen a bunch of sheep there too. But, is there a certain size limit to their horns before u can shoot one? just curious 8)

josec said:
beautuful area! ive seen a bunch of sheep there too. But, is there a certain size limit to their horns before u can shoot one? just curious 8)

First you need to win the lottery and draw the tag....Then you can shoot one.

•(c) Bag and possession Limit: One mature ram defined as follows: a male Nelson bighorn sheep (Ovis canadensis nelsoni) having at least one horn, the tip of which extends beyond a point in a straight line beginning at the front (anterior) edge of the horn base, and extending downward through the rear (posterior) edge of the visible portion of the eye and continuing downward through the horn. All reference points are based on viewing the ram directly from a 90 degree angle from which the head is facing. A diagram showing the correct viewing procedure shall be distributed by the department to each successful applicant.

cool. thanks! i think ill start putting in for them this coming year, since its probly going to take 10 yrs to draw a tag, and yes breacher, i love the smileys :) ;) :D ;D 8)

josec said:
cool. thanks! i think ill start putting in for them this coming year, since its probly going to take 10 yrs to draw a tag, and yes breacher, i love the smileys :) ;) :D ;D 8)

10 years..............or more!

My buddy's friend took these with his phone...true story. Not sheep but cool none-the-less.

Attachments

• mtn_goat4.jpg
    mtn_goat4.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 146
  • mtn_goat3.jpg
    mtn_goat3.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 146
  • mtn_goat2.jpg
    mtn_goat2.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 145
  • mtn_goat1.jpg
    mtn_goat1.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 146
josec said:
If u get that in 10 years your are one lucky sob

The first pic is a monster Ram. I took the pic over in AZ close to Lake Havasu last year.
The second pic was taken at the river last year. The Ewe was in heat and these guys were taking turns getting knocked around by the big guy. It was pretty cool to watch. At one point the big ram knocked one of the other rams off a cliff, that ram dropped about 30 feet down and landed like it was no big deal and right back up the cliff he went for more.

Attachments

• IMG_3146.JPG
    IMG_3146.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_2499.JPG
    IMG_2499.JPG
    249.9 KB · Views: 121
NBK said:
My buddy's friend took these with his phone...true story. Not sheep but cool none-the-less.

I have a friend who lives in CO and does a lot of hiking up there and the surrounding states but he gets pics of mountain goats all the time just coming right by him.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu