so I got lucky

longbowhunter2

Oct 16, 2013
on the mountain
I finally got my head space comparator , I verified 4 fire 243 Remington brass cartridges measured 1,616 exactly, my resize cartridges' checked 1.614 . sometimes I get lucky.
I spot check the resized cartridge neck & body with calipers all good to go. I purchased the Lyman electric trimmer for bottle necks will be next step.
received my OAL gage & bullet comparator kit, and waiting for my modified 243 cartridge to arrive. In addition I will use a fired brass and head seat a bullet with a slight press. and use it to compare with the gage. I wish they had not broken the inside edge of the head space comparator , should of left it sharp. On my similar designs I would leave the edge sharp and always worked well.

Reactions: ilovesprig
Did you get a fireformed modified case or buy one online?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Did you get a fireformed modified case or buy one online?

they sent me the wrong modified cartridge, on line purchase, and I can not find it for sale on line. so I will have to make one. 6 mm drill , forgot tap size, I wrote it down. see if I have a tap in in my inventory.
I have a full tap set, if not I will have to order it.

Reactions: Josh S.
here the tap and drill on amazon, 5/16-36 tap & 7.3 mm but according to my tap drill chart an letter I drill should work fine.
my son in law just got a small drill press, use a mag v block and shim it to be straight, should work fine.

Reactions: Josh S.
they sent me the wrong modified cartridge, on line purchase, and I can not find it for sale on line. so I will have to make one. 6 mm drill , forgot tap size, I wrote it down. see if I have a tap in in my inventory.
I have a full tap set, if not I will have to order it.

Would be pretty cool to have a lathe/drill press and tooling to do that. I just paid Fine Firearms to do make my modified case, $10 I think.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Would be pretty cool to have a lathe/drill press and tooling to do that. I just paid Fine Firearms to do make my modified case, $10 I think.

that's were I messed up, I got burned out from working in machine shops all my life. I should of purchased a small tool lathe and mill before I retired.
I can make any thing, I just need to practice again because I have not run a manual machine in a while. but I learned as an apprentice before becoming an engineer.
I could of designed and built better stuff than I purchased. but that's life in general.

Reactions: CAL'NDN and Josh S.
so some thing to mention if no interference from the hardware a 1-2 Inch disk micrometer would be way more stable and accurate than calibers. I wish I had save some of my gage blocks to calibrate inspection tools prior to using them. it's very easy for precision tools to get knocked out of calibration.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu